Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How easy is the changing of the front wheel bearings, on the 97 1500. Is it a job a novice could tackle<

any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It doesn't look like much of a job, a lot easier than the rear wheel. I plan on replacing all the wheel bearings this summer on my 93. From what I read in the book, it really doesn't look like that much work for the front anyway. More work for the rear since large plastic has to come off. Just the usual caution about not stressing the bearing sideways, press or drive it in with a socket or tube that only presses on the outer race. I usually cool the bearing in the freezer for an hour or so and heat the wheel hub with a heat lamp, could use a heat gun but I like the lamp, it will get it hot enough without concentrating the heat so much. With the temperature differential they usually go in easily.

When driving out the old bearings just be careful to tap on opposing sides of the old bearing to keep it from getting cocked which can jam it. Same goes for putting in the new one. You don't have to be careful about driving out the old bearing, you can tap away on the center of the bearing which is usually easier to reach through the wheel with a steel or brass drift pin.

:waving::15red::waving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
How easy is the changing of the front wheel bearings, on the 97 1500. Is it a job a novice could tackle<
Hey manxblackcat :waving: A short question deserves a short answer. NO. :whip: The very least you should beis a "Guru" :weightlifter:You are only "A Very Active Member" so dont touch it. :whip:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Don't listen to REDWING the mail boat was late and he didn't get his meds!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::15red::cheeky1::cheeky1:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
Hey manxblackcat :waving: Ok you now have it from exavid a "Guru" in the states and weewillywing in Ireland that you can handle this job. :clapper:So get at it. :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey manxblackcat :waving: Ok you now have it from exavid a "Guru" in the states and weewillywing in Ireland that you can handle this job. :clapper:So get at it. :weightlifter:

Thanks Redwing

I will order the bearings today.

O buy yhe way, thanks exavid it sounds like an easy job. If i encounter any problems I'll ask.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.