Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've been thinking about switching to Ceramic Bearings.... has anyone done this?

Also, could anyone post the bearing sizes for the front and wheels, or let me know where to find this information. :?

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

The bearings last long enough, I don't know that you'd really see all that much benefit. I changed mine this past winter, they were original - so that's 27 years and 40-odd thousand miles. They still worked fine, but I feel better knowing that I have brand new sealed bearings in there that should last basically forever.

Wheel bearings are not a common failure item on early Wings.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

BTW the bearing type is 6302-2RS for both sides. You can easily cross-reference that at any bearing supplier.

If you are buying seals seperately, they are;

Front Right Seal 30-4203
Front Left Seal 30-5006

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Ceramic ball bearings still have the steel races. Only the balls are made of the lighter ceramic material. If you want to switch to them, I would do some research first, since by nature, wheel bearings must endure a lot of impact-type loads at a relatively slow RPM (compared to high speed electrical motors for example).

I know that the ceramics can handle higher heat than steels, but the "ceramic" materials with which I am familiar, are somewhat more fragile to shock than steel.

The minimal research that I have done indicates that one major advantage to the ceramic balls is, in being lighter, they tend to "skip/slide" from 20% to 40% less than their steel bretheren during rapid acceleration/deceleration applications, thereby improving the failure ratio in those applications. :waving:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.