Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hit even a small bump in the road with my 1500 the front wheel starts to chatter physically and continues for a hundred feet or so before it quits. Hit one in a corner and it chatters even more pronounced. The faster I am going the more is does this. I fear the front tire is actually leaving the pavement. Any idea why this is happening?

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
505 Posts
I would seriously think about putting 2-3 oz. of balance beads in the tire, , ,and do BOTH while you're at it. You didn't say what tire you're running in the front, , I have had good luck with Avon Cobra's there, and inflate to 1 lb. below max.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would seriously think about putting 2-3 oz. of balance beads in the tire, , ,and do BOTH while you're at it. You didn't say what tire you're running in the front, , I have had good luck with Avon Cobra's there, and inflate to 1 lb. below max.
Dunlop touring elite three. Front and rear. Brand new. I have never heard of balance beads.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’d say that it is seriously out of balance. Did you do them or a service center? If someone did them for you, take it back and get it fixed right, at no cost to you.
It does also sound like you fork dampening is compromised too. You might want to service them very soon too.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
Dunlop touring elite three. Front and rear. Brand new. I have never heard of balance beads.
Dyna Beads are the most popular and can be inserted thru the Valve Stems.

I will NOT run a tire on my bike without Dyna Beads.

this is their product page, 2 oz in front is typical, 3 oz in back.
you can use more and it works the same, try to use LESS and you are Doomed, it will NOT work.

I throw in 3 oz for the front and 4 oz for the back, smooth as baby powder.

Make sure you get the kit that includes the bottle and the Vinyl tubing so you can insert the beads.

Remove valve stem, put stem at the bottom.
put in the proper amount in the bottle,
attach tubing to valve stem & bottle.

use short little squeeze puffs to get the beads to go thru the stems.
takes me about 2 minutes per tire.

IF, for some reason the beads stop going down, use something to tap the valve stem.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
oh, pull OFF all of the lead weights.... they prevent the Dyna Beads from doing their job.

I bought a half pound of these several years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I'm going to assume you are talking about wobble. Otherwise known as Saint Vitus Dance. It is trying to shake the handle bars right out of your hands, right? That is always caused by an issue in the front end. The first thing that comes to mind is a badly worn front tire. Given the fact that it is that bad I doubt it is a tire issue.
I think Pure Texas is on the right track. The next time it happens really clamp down on the bars and if you can push or pull on them. If that helps I bet it is in fact loose or worn steering head bearings.

Here is some info.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
I'm wondering if it needs fork oil.
If you have to wonder then it probably does. Forks need servicing just like the rest of the bike.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’d say that it is seriously out of balance. Did you do them or a service center? If someone did them for you, take it back and get it fixed right, at no cost to you.
It does also sound like you fork dampening is compromised too. You might want to service them very soon too.
I'm going to assume you are talking about wobble. Otherwise known as Saint Vitus Dance. It is trying to shake the handle bars right out of your hands, right? That is always caused by an issue in the front end. The first thing that comes to mind is a badly worn front tire. Given the fact that it is that bad I doubt it is a tire issue.
I think Pure Texas is on the right track. The next time it happens really clamp down on the bars and if you can push or pull on them. If that helps I bet it is in fact loose or worn steering head bearings.

Here is some info.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am fully aware of the 1500's built in "death wobble". I am on my third one now and they all did. That is entirely different from what I am experiencing. It feels like I am going over a real washboard. Not violent in any way. Just a machine gun chatter that lasts for a couple seconds after hitting a bump. More pronounced in corners. I just got this bike from an individual who said that it did this. I assumed it was the tires (which needed replacing) so I took it to my Honda dealer where I have had tires replaced multiple times since I got my first 1500 in 93. The tires are new Dunlop Touring elite threes with NO balance issues. But chatter they did. This has to be mechanical. I believe it to be a fork oil issue and will be checking that out. I raised the weight off the front wheel and checked the head bearing for any play in the triple tree stem. Solid. No play at all. An experienced rider and pretty good mechanic friend rode the bike and says it is mechanical issue. I am wondering if anyone has actually had this happen and is not just guessing what the problem may be. It could be something nobody has had happen to them. Except me. I thank you for your responses. I learned a few things from them and am now more aware of what can happen.

·
Trike Master
1,248 Posts
It's called "Pogo Sticking". Caused by to much fork oil! Did the PO say how long the bike had been doing this and if he or someone changed fork oil soon before it started????
Also, forget the beads and use RideOn.It not only balances but also provides puncture protection.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
Also, forget the beads and use RideOn.It not only balances but also provides puncture protection.
I used ride on once, it hardened in the tires. Looked like pink taffy.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's called "Pogo Sticking". Caused by to much fork oil! Did the PO say how long the bike had been doing this and if he or someone changed fork oil soon before it started????
I will do a fork oil change today. Make sure the right amount is in there. Thanks

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I’ve never had my 1500 wobble,I ride mine fairly aggressive ( raced regularly when I was young and speed and curves do not alarm me) and I don’t set straight up when I go into curves,watch some high speed racers and watch how they off set their body into the curve,the Goldwing WANTS to constantly set itself upright and leaning or just offsetting your body allows the bike to not want to set up and follow the curve trajectory of the rode,I also use Avon tires with Radial on the front and bias on the back.
Good luck getting it repaired,don’t think it’s mechanical.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts