Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the "best" system or method to mount a Wing in a trailer? I will make floor mount plates/brackets for my enclosed trailer and would like feedback on the best methods or system anyone is aware of for securing for transport.
I have a '05 GL1800 and an '81 1100 Honduro'ed into sort of an adventure bike for dirt/gravel.
I have 4 D rings/straps but want to be able to pretty much ride in and latch it down.
I can either buy it or make it if someone has a good suggestion on how to.

·
Administrator
58,946 Posts
use a wheel chock up front, preferably one that latches the tire in place so it holds the bike up while you climb off.

use the soft double loop straps to go over thelower Triple Tree, then connect a regular ratchet strap thru the double loops. tie one to each front corner of the trailer.

Use a single strap from one side of the trailer at the rear, loop it once around the rear wheel, and the tie it to the tie down at the opposite side.

I also have these Canyon Dancer handlebar cheater straps with cups. eliminates having to use the Triple Tree straps.

love them....

Note they have loops at each end that slides thru the cup and attaches to the opposite cup. That way, the tighter you pull on the loops, the tighter it holds the handlebars in place. see next pix.

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Harbor freight has wheel chocks Motorcycle Wheel Chock
Tie it down like John suggested. Don't tie the back end down, tie it to prevent side to side movement but it rides better with the suspension free to move.

·
Administrator
58,946 Posts
Harbor freight has wheel chocks Motorcycle Wheel Chock
Tie it down like John suggested. Don't tie the back end down, tie it to prevent side to side movement but it rides better with the suspension free to move.
Look at that last picture close, the upper left corner.
Harbor Frieght Wheel chock. it is bolted to a 24x24 inch 3/4 plyboard. don't even have to tie the board down, it goes in the corner, or against a wall. the weight of the bike and the tie down straps secure it solid.

the wheel chock is used when the 1800 goes with me.

Look close, the 1800's rear wheel is tied solid as I showed earlier. It is a Black Strap from left wall to right wall, once around the rear wheel. It also has the Canyon Dancer handlebar cups on it.

here is the other side showing one of the Triple Tree tie down straps

What you cannot see, is the Eye Bolt that goes thru a hole cut thru the Plyboard.... that eyebolt is secured to the trailer's steel frame below the floor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts