Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

went out to work on bike,(electrical), found rear tire flat. they want 100.00 to take off at local motorcycle tire center if you have trailer hitch, 85.00 without. i have a hitch, I am a not a mechanic is it something i should attempt? how hard to take off and and especially put back on?

is it safe to repairtireor shoud they alway be replaced? still a lot of tread.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
imported post

With the aid of a manual it isn't a difficult job, just time consuming. Having to remove the bags to get to the shock bolts, and raising/lowering the rear wheel for axle/exhaust clearence. It's all pretty straight forward, just remember where the spacers go on the caliper side of the wheel.

Some folks say they don't trust repair plugs, others have put several thousand miles on repaired tires. You don't say how old the tire is or how bad it's damaged, kinda' a personal call... :gunhead:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,653 Posts
imported post

If you have some decent tools, it's not a hard job. However, without the guidance of a manual and the assistance of a mechanically inclined friend, I wouldn't recommend it. Especially with the hitch, because the book won't tell you about that.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

It's not impossible for the novice to do. The good thing about doing it yourself is that it gives you the opportunity to look at other things on your bike, make sure the drive splines look good and are greased properly. You can inspect the saddlebags for cracks and when it all goes back together you can make sure everything is fitted and tightened properly.

It's not hard to do it, there's just a lot to do it but can be done in a day if needed, a weekend to clean and inspect would be better.

I believe this is your only source Or main source of transport however isn't it? I would try a plug if it's just a small nail or screw hole. If done properly they will hold for the average drive back and forth to work. Longer trips, I would have it patched from the inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.