Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since I have been on the board. I wrecked my 81 last August and am now putting it back together. The saddlebag supports were bent up and I removed them. I noticed the rear wheel wouldn't rotate freely, so I took off the rear caliper and that relieved some of the issue. So I know I have a brake rebuild on my hands. With all the stuff off the back of the bike, even the rear fender I have great access to the rear wheel. When I rotate the wheel, it deflects just slightly. I used an allen wrench to gauge the side to side movement in the wheel and it is about a millimeter. Is this a safety issue? Is the wheel toast? Can it be fixed?

Thanks!

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi bulfrog and welcome backone mill i wouldent see any prob with this i asume therim is not marked or dented have you shook the wheel to see if you have a bit of play in the wheel berring

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The wheel is not dented or anything. It does have a black mark on the edge of the rim where it deflects. Probably where it hit the asphalt during the accident. The wheel bearing is solid.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

My manual says 2mm is acceptable. But I have a 1200. It may be a sign that the bearings are reaching their useful life....... if it is dis-assembled, the bearings aren't much. I would throw in some new ones, inspect wheel for cracks.........and rrrride man. RIDE.

If you feel a noticable shimmy while riding you may want to look into a EBAY wheel maybe. Only problem is the ebay wheel may not be straight either. (that's the way my luck usually goes)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Upon further inspection I found that the wheel is deflecting around 3mm on the right side. Looks like I'm going to have to find someone who can straighten it or if that fails buy a suspect wheel from eBay.

Anyone here have a bike you are tearing down and parting out that has a straight rear wheel for sale?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Bullfrog, you may want to post that question on the forsale/wanted forum. You may get some better responses.

Good luck on your search!!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Give onaXR a shout, he's selling some parts off a 1100. I just went up and picked up the fairing, wrap-a-round windsheild and some passenger floorboards off him. He's making a custom trike out of it. He may part with the rear wheel.

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum6/63913.html

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the head's up on the sale. I PM'd him about the wheel.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Bullfrog wrote:
Thanks for the head's up on the sale. I PM'd him about the wheel.
His bike is an 82 where yours is an 81. Make sure that you get the spacers with it also.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the tip. I was worried there may be some slight differences between the bikes. I was thinking it might be a good idea to transfer over the drive spline spider from my old wheel also.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Bullfrog wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I was worried there may be some slight differences between the bikes. I was thinking it might be a good idea to transfer over the drive spline spider from my old wheel also.
i just talked to him on the phone and made him aware of your need. He's gonna just use from the drive shaft forward. So the whole wheel and hub should be available.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

That's fantastic. Thanks for your help! :cooler:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.