Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheels on gl1500 oxidising

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  englishted 
#1 ·
imported post

Do any of the gurus or more humble members here know if the gl1500 wheels have a lacker coating on them, or are they bare aluminium like the 1800? My front wheel has white marks that I think are fungus stains and I'm going to pull the wheel and repair it. If there is a clearcoat on the wheel I will have to remove it first, that's why I need to know.

#2 ·
imported post

There is a clearcoat on the 1500 wheels. Do the Nitrormors thing and then follow the wingnuts article on wheel polishing. I've seen the wheels on his 1800 andthe shine just has to be seen to be believed. Almost as good as chrome (and easier to keep that way over time)IMO.

G
#3 ·
imported post

Jason wrote:
There is a clearcoat on the 1500 wheels. Do the Nitrormors thing and then follow the wingnuts article on wheel polishing. I've seen the wheels on his 1800 andthe shine just has to be seen to be believed. Almost as good as chrome (and easier to keep that way over time)IMO.
Gosh im glad that someone has at long last agreed with me, :clapper:i posted this a long time ago when members were looking to waste their money on chrome wheels :gunhead: the wait was worth while as it's our top "guru" who agrees.

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

#4 ·
imported post

I agree with Redwing for once! I seen those polished wheels on the wingnuts bike and at first glance they look like chrome. They look a million times better than when new from the factory.I could actually see my ugly mush reflected in the wheels. Half a days work sanding out the fine factory lines and polishing but I must say that it looks worth the effort. The good thing is that once you get that hard work over with, you only need to give them a quick rub every month or so.

G
#6 ·
imported post

BigAl wrote:
I agree with Redwing for once! I seen those polished wheels on the wingnuts bike and at first glance they look like chrome. They look a million times better than when new from the factory.I could actually see my ugly mush reflected in the wheels. Half a days work sanding out the fine factory lines and polishing but I must say that it looks worth the effort. The good thing is that once you get that hard work over with, you only need to give them a quick rub every month or so.
Hey BigAl,Your number two who agrees with me. :clapper:Dont tell this to wexman because he spent loads of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ buying a new chrome front wheel. :gunhead:for his :18red:Dont look too close at the wingnuts wheels with your ugly mush because you mite damage them. :grinner:

Merry xmas BigAl. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

#7 ·
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
BigAl wrote:
Hey BigAl,Your number two who agrees with me. :clapper:Dont tell this to wexman because he spent loads of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ buying a new chrome front wheel. :gunhead:for his :18red:Dont look too close at the wingnuts wheels with your ugly mush because you mite damage them. :grinner:

Merry xmas BigAl. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:
Ah but REDWING :cheeky1:,,,,,,,the real thing looks even better and with the dollar sinking so low I think I will get a second one ,just to pee you off ,,if the dollar gets any lower ,you will be able to buy an 1800 for the price that a chrome front wheel was last year ....:waving::waving:keep the faith ..Ciaran.:):):santawaving:

G
#8 ·
imported post

wexman wrote:

Ah but REDWING :cheeky1:,,,,,,,the real thing looks even better and with the dollar sinking so low I think I will get a second one..:waving::waving:keep the faith ..Ciaran.:):):santawaving:
Hey wexman, :gunhead: keep taking the tablets. :gunhead:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

#9 ·
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Jason wrote:
Gosh im glad that someone has at long last agreed with me, :clapper:i posted this a long time ago when members were looking to waste their money on chrome wheels :gunhead: the wait was worth while as it's our top "guru" who agrees.
Yes I must agree with that. Wingnuts wheels are amazingly shiny. Really worth the effort in my opinion. They stand out for the rest of the crowd.:clapper:

#12 ·
imported post

Nitromors it is then. I'll probably get them good and shiny and then have them recoated with clearcoat. The clearcoat will kill some of the brilliance of the shine I'm told, but it will mean less work to keep them clean. I'm afraid I'm a lazy bugger.

#14 ·
imported post

BenMC wrote:
You guys in those wet country's must get sick and tired of haveing to keep the shiny bits from rusting and oxidizing.
Keeping them clean is more a labour of love Ben. What really gets me is that much of the chrome that comes in from the USA is really very poor quality. It's okay in sunny countries but just doesn't last any time in the real world wher we get the occassional bit of rain, damp etc. I have a friend who works in a chrome shop and he can show me flaws on even new pieces of chrome, so I know what to look for on chrome goodies now and this helps to tell good chrome from rubbish right out of the packet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.