Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

(I've never ridden a Goldwing, but I am set on buying one soon.) Of the seven or eight shaft-driven bikes I have ridden, all except for a couple of old BMW twins had me wanting to upshift past top gear. And I read somewhere in the past couple of days a similar complaint from an owner of an early Goldwing model. I have looked at the goldwingdifferences spreadsheet and the gearing, both 5th and the overall, have inched taller and taller over the years. Can someone save me (and sellers of Goldwings that I might visit) some trouble and tell me which year/model pretty much eliminated that complaint? I was hoping to buy an 1100/1200, so info on the models in that era would most be appreciated. Thank you very, very much.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

well---for the 1100 its the 83 year that has the best overall gearing. all models.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

For the 1500, it still needs a 6th gear :cooldevil:

and I can't tell you how many times I have tried to shift it into sixth gear. :)

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

It doesn't matter, all Goldwings could have benifited from a sixth gear. I still have the urge to shift once more even after I've shifted to 5th.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't mind having 6th gear on my 85 interstate, mainly for the gas mileage.

But honestly, when I we travel on the superslab, I still stay below 4000 rpm, stay above 70 mph and get 40 mpg with everything on the bike I can possibly load in and on the boxes.

So 6th gear would probably just get me a speeding ticket.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
imported post

Looked for it, never found it with the wing. Everyone does.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I'm always surprized the GLs never saw an automatic

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

If it had 6th I'd be using it. Tried more times than can be counted. Then again if it had 6th I'd be trying to shift into 7th. And if it had 7th I'd be trying to get into 8th. And so on and so on---!

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I have been riding an 83 interstate for over 3 years . I wish it had a 7 speed . I want a lower first for taking off with 2 up riding and a higher top gear . That would be my preference . But as it is I still return a slight bit over 40 MPG with it running 3500 rpm down the higway at 60 MPH . Most others run a little lower RPM then me at that speed , but I use a shorter rear tire than speced.

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

The want of another gear is still there but on an 1800 it's not so much to lower the RPMs but that it has so much torque you feel like it's still in 4th when actually in 5th. Another gear might improve the MPGs, maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I just like the O/D light. I reminds me I dont HAVE to shift up anymore, even though I still do. My 1100 Star was poorly geared, I ALWAYS hunted for the elusive 6th gear. At least with the quiet pipes now, no one can hear when I pull in the clutch, lol...

Bill

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

i'm quite happy with my 85 gl1200LTD. when the OD shows up on the digital display

i don't need to shift any more. at 80mph it is turning 4050 rpm's and is quite happy doing it. i think a 6th gear would be redundant unless you were on the autobahn or riding in montana. on my trip to my dads house in rathdrum idaho i was running along on I-90 from butte to deer lodge montana at a leasurely 100mph with my son(17Y.O.) fuel mileage was tanked but it was an effortless stroll for the LTD.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

I can't recall how many times I've tried shifting past 5th. Heck, I considered putting a HUGE flashing light in the OD lamp slot to remind me. It's even worse for me because I've always driven manual trans cars, and the one I've had for the last 5 years or so is also a 6 speed (Nissan Maxima), so I'm used to hitting 6th. :)

Jack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.