Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......don't forget to bleed the air out of the forks before taking out the oil drain plug ! :p Spent the next half hour cleaning fork oil off the side of the car six feet away, lol. What a mess.

Put some Progressive springs in the forks. Wasn't able to bottom the forks out via their instructions to get the 5.5 " oil level, but just added the Honda 7.4 oz spec for fork drain and seems to be working ok.

Old springs weren't terrible but these are better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I put race tech springs and valve emulators in my forks. I had them out a few times to adjust the valves and ride height. On the last time, I got a little sloppy. I realized real fast I did not block the bike up when I took out the second top plug. Bike fell over, all I could do was get out of the way. No harm no foul. Was a worth wile upgrade. Bike rides excellent.

To get the forks compressed, I had the bike blocked up in front of the center stand. I pulled the springs, and jacked up the front wheel with a floor jack. Gently until it was at the top. I then put the springs back in, and set the oil level.

David

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I put race tech springs and valve emulators in my forks. I had them out a few times to adjust the valves and ride height. On the last time, I got a little sloppy. I realized real fast I did not block the bike up when I took out the second top plug. Bike fell over, all I could do was get out of the way. No harm no foul. Was a worth wile upgrade. Bike rides excellent.

To get the forks compressed, I had the bike blocked up in front of the center stand. I pulled the springs, and jacked up the front wheel with a floor jack. Gently until it was at the top. I then put the springs back in, and set the oil level.

David
Thanks, yeah, I was compressing the drained forks, springs out, but got to my brake line fittings with still room to compress.
Didn't want to crush those, so I just put 7.4 atf in each fork. :D Bike (1980 gl1100) is running/handling great.
Wife and I did a 200 mile ride to celebrate.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just a thought. YOU DO HAVE FULL SUSPENSION TRAVEL?

If he brake fitting is going to hit with out the springs, it might with the springs.
Enjoy your ride.
David

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a thought. YOU DO HAVE FULL SUSPENSION TRAVEL?

If he brake fitting is going to hit with out the springs, it might with the springs.
Enjoy your ride.
David
Yes thanks. The brake fittings mentioned are the ones mounted under the steering hub tube; fender would have hit them if I went further.
Had about two more inches before the forks would have been out of travel.
But the forks worked before and better now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts