Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

When is it time to replace brake disk(s)

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  THEBIGRED1 
#1 ·
imported post

I replaced the disk break pads a few months ago and noticed that both front and rear disks have grooves from the previous owner failing to replace the pads on time.

So at what point should I consider replacing the pads and what should I expect to pay for a front or rear disk? Price of the parts not labor.

Thanks

#2 ·
imported post

If it is nothing but fairly shallow grooves, I would not consider replacing the disc. Those things are EXPENSIVE. And it is not a matter of safety. If the discs are still thick enough, they will work fine. The new pads will quickly bed in to match the grooves and you will have full contact between the pads and discs. If the discs are badly cut up, you will need to replace them, but I would look for used ones. I don't know about the Goldwing, but the discs on my '02 Vulcan 750 are $250 apiece, and there are 3 of them. That is a huge amount of money, and I'd bet that the GW discs cost a lot more than that.

New discs are about $260 apiece for a GL1500

#3 ·
imported post

According to the service manual for the GL1500--Front brake disc thickness 5.8-6.2mm standard and service limit is 5.0mm and runout is 0.3mm

Rear brake disk thickness 7.3-7.7mm standard and service limit is 6.0mm and runout limit is 0.3mm

Front pads thickness 5.5mm standard and service limit is 1.0mm

Rear pads thickness 6.5mm standard and service limit is 1.0mm

#5 ·
imported post

Shallow grooves does not mean the pads were not replaced when needed.
I have yet to see a rotor that isn't grooved. That's why all the brake shops try to talk you into "turning" your rotors when you put new pads on a car/truck. In most cases they don't need that any more than you need to replace the rotors on a bike!
If you wear the pad material away and do damage to the rotors, you will know it from the noise when you apply the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.