Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you think you can no longer ride.:(

will you:

1.Give up what you has become to dear to you and watch others ride by.

2 Try a little Trike on for size

3 Some say they will hack it, some say a sidecar, both are an answer to the same means.

4. Continue on no matter the cost, not knowing the cost you could cause.

5. Try something smaller, try something lighter.

No matter what I choose, the result will be life changing, because for me a Motorcycle is way of Life, and a spirit lifter. :waving:

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
What I plan to do is trike out the wing. that is the plan. But you
never know what you will be capable of doing when that time comes. When
you are forced to make a decision you might be to the point of having to
comletely give it up.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I hope I can ride until the day I die. If I get to a point tha I can't hold the wing up anymore I will trike it and ride until I can't safely operate a trike.
:action:

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,916 Posts
I plan on riding my two wheeler until????????? When I need to get off of two wheels I am thinking of getting one of those ugly three wheelers with two wheels in the front. I rode a trike once and wasn't liking it much.

·
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ
2,634 Posts
I am at that point. I can no longer support a heavy bike like my Wing, so I am refurbishing a sidecar for it. For my 2 wheel habit, I put together an older Harley 1200 Custom Sportster. Much smaller and easy for me to handle.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Plan to do, you say? I plan to keep taking care of my health so that I can ride until I'm no longer here. No sidecar, no trike, just modest work outs and taking care of my health, that's all....

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I saw this harley about a year ago with some "training" wheels that lower at stops. they go back up when the bike takes off from a stop. pretty neat idea.

I have bad knees and have had them for many years (old football injuries). I know that someday with my size that I will be looking at a surgury that may end my two wheeled days. Like Kimswang said, I plan to do the best I can to keep up my health to keep riding. Reality is for EVERYONE is thats not always possible. I just will enjoy the ride while I can.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
When I am too old anf feeble to ride a side car rig, I'll go back to riding a a two wheeld bike.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Lemme tell ya boys, trike that sucker! It is SOO worth it. I know I know you lose the "lean" factor, but you're still in the wind! I'm in a different situation. What will I do when I can't safely operate our trike??!! I hate the thought of driving a pair of Doctor Scholls shoes someday, instead of some kind of motorcycle. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Trike or something smaller for me. I went 9 years without riding, so I know how that feels. I won't feel like that again.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Me too, Brian! I gave up riding for 20 some years. Never thought I'd ride again, till one day about 5 years ago! I missed alot of miles, and I can't really give an answer why I gave it up for so long. Just figured "That was that". If riding is what makes your world go around, do whatcha gotta do to keep those knees in the breeze! JMO jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
in my day, I have seen a number of old men have to give up driving. I am talking about driving cars. In a lot of cases they gave up their independence kicking and screaming. In some cases they were unaware that they were incapable of operating a vehicle and that they were putting themselves and others in danger.

When a young man first starts driving, he thinks he can handle any situation. Often he is mistaken. When an old man is getting to the end of his driving age, he still quite often thinks he can handle anything. Often he is mistaken.

My point is this: we are not always going to be able to know when it is time to quit riding. Someone may have to one day take away our bike. My plan is to still be able to know when that time is. Untill that day, I will continue to ride my trike.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
When you think you can no longer ride.:(

will you:

... etc ...
I suppose then, I'ld likely sell the 1200 Aspencade and just ride the 1500 SAE/Trike that I've had since 2004 until either it or I are wore out.
Maybe by then I'll have a newer 1800 based trike or maybe a low miles 1500 exist to convert or maybe I've then moved on to something else?
Street Rodding?
Even if I can't ride it, the '74 Triumph Trident will stay but if it's just a matter of can't hold up a 800+ pound GoldWing, if I can stand up and start the Trident .... I can ride it occasionally as it's so light. If I can't ride it, I'll park it in the bed of my pickup and just drive around being "cool".

:D

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I've a V-12 Convertible that'll fill the role nicely.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I'm 63, and lost my L leg 6 months ago. (got hit by a GMC Jimmy)
I've still got the Wing and the Sabre, and I'm gonna start with a Voyager kit.
If I like it, I'll get a GL1500 Trike.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
When the knee's and hips give out, I'll move to either a trike or maybe a Stallion... I have test driven a ton of trikes at Niehaus Cycle this year and know what I like... So it will either be a trike or a Stallion but I'm hoping that isn't for a long time yet...

Les

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Well, I am 71 years old and am just about there. I have been seriously considering a smaller (Lighter) bike but have not found one that rides as good, has as much luggage capacity, or range as my 90 SE? :) I guess I am too hard to please?

Seriously I have been looking @ a Shadow or Vulcan with a minimum 1100cc but have not found the right one yet.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I go to a get together in Nebraska every year and there is a 80+ guy every one calls "old timer", he said he triked it in his early 80's and it is not the same but better than nothing. I'll trike it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
For mostly physical reasons I just sold my '01 GW. I debated about what to replace it with and settled on a '03 Silverwing 600cc scooter. I had one before as a stablemate for my 1500 and rather foolishly sold it. It sure isn't a GW but it's a fun ride. 600cc's in a scooter isn't to be laughed at, my previous one topped out at over 105mph as measured on my GPS. That ain't your kid brother's motor scooter. I'll beat a HD Sportster across an intersection when the light goes green. I've own a bunch of GWs, 1100s, 1200, 1500 and my 1800 but my knees and ankles aren't holding up as well as I'd hoped. Maybe things will improve some and I'll rethink getting another GW but for the time being for me it's the Jeep TJ for having fun in the mountains on logging roads and the Silverwing for the roads.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.