Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

This pic was in todays paper.

A black bear cools off in a kid-sized plastic swimming pool Wednesday afternoon in the backyard of Barb Fidanque’s house near 13th Street and East Fourth Avenue. “Bears get pretty warm at this time of the year, so water features on people’s property such as this will be alluring to a bear,” said Bryan Peterson, director of Bear Smart Durango. “If people would rather not have bears around, they should consider removing water features. Maybe some residents are fine with it, but perhaps their neighbors aren’t, so they should check with them about their comfort level about having bears nearby.”

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Must be hot.....That's not what you want to see while your having your morning coffee..:D

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,504 Posts
imported post

Oh come one, i would love to have a bear in my back yard.

But the dogs? They would have a fit!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,504 Posts
imported post

Feeding them is definitely not a smart thing to do.

I remember back in the early '70s taking the family camping up in Colorado. We slept in our car rather than a tent. I had put the food all inside a "very tight" Coleman cooler.

I woke up to ripping sounds and saw a bear on top of the small trailer that had all of our stuff in it. I turned on the car headlights and hit the horn. The bear ran away.
Didn't really hurt anything, just made a mess of the strawberry jam that used to be in a jar.

that bear unscrewed the lids on everything we had trying to see what was in them. Just like a kid, only more sloppy.

I didn't even bother calling the rangers.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I was just reading a book on bear attacks, unfortunately I can't remember the name or title but the author was writing mostly about southern BC, the Kootenays.

He made the point that the most dangerous bear was one defending its food supply, not a sow with cubs, which is what I always thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.