Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you would think that pavement is solid, until it is gone...

we slid into Birmingham, Alabama just trying to avoid the fender benders.

and then the GPS hollers out loud at us!
I-20 blocked, you are being rerouted!!! :surprise:

Huh? my GPS is sitting on the dash of the truck, and it is telling me that the road is gone? turns out it is correct.... nothing in front of us but huge mountains of dirt, and pieces of new concrete overpasses criss-crossing left and right.... we are routed onto little 1 lane streets that are now 2-way traffic, but somehow, it gets us back onto I-20 eastbound....

the miracles of TRAFFIC enabled navigation equipment.

I was not aware that the GPS systems now can be reprogrammed on the fly, to reroute you instantly... and this GPS is almost ten years old? a Garmin 2797

it took us on the new routes that did not exist when the maps were programmed into this thing.:surprise:

From now on, if a new GPS is acquired, it WILL have Traffic receiving ability. 0:)

·
Administrator
25,790 Posts
Yep, a friend of mine had one 7 or 8 years ago. We were on I 40 in Tennessee and there was a wreck, it rerouted around it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, a friend of mine had one 7 or 8 years ago. We were on I 40 in Tennessee and there was a wreck, it rerouted around it.

Wikipedia seems to think the 2797 was released in 2011 and the description mentions rerouting with Traffic info alerts.

so that coincides with your friend's GPS also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts