Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've done a quick search of 4 or 5 "rear shock rebuilds" but can't seem to fine when or where to add the oil on a 1985 I. At this point all I care to do is replace the seal and replace the fluid.:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hi Butch, it's been a long time. If you have the tool and inclination, this would be a good time to completely disassemble the shock and clean it up but if not, then, remove the dust boot and lock ring, use compressed air to blow the old seal out. I do this into a five gallon bucket to contain the mess that usually comes out with it. There may not be much oil left after all these year. Rinse out the inside with brake cleaner. Plug the air inlet port, turn the shock upside down and pour in the required amount of either ATF or the fork oil of your choice. install the new seal, lock ring and dust boot and you are ready to go.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
shocks

as jackjohn stated,replaing the seal is the only answer because there is no way to know what's left in the shocks,plus whatever is left is probably a gummy mess,since u are not doing the complete rebuild replacing fluid with 15W might be a better choice than ATF for a partial rebuild at this time

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Butch, it's been a long time. If you have the tool and inclination, this would be a good time to completely disassemble the shock and clean it up but if not, then, remove the dust boot and lock ring, use compressed air to blow the old seal out. I do this into a five gallon bucket to contain the mess that usually comes out with it. There may not be much oil left after all these year. Rinse out the inside with brake cleaner. Plug the air inlet port, turn the shock upside down and pour in the required amount of either ATF or the fork oil of your choice. install the new seal, lock ring and dust boot and you are ready to go.
:claps::bow:

Hey JJ. It has been a long time but as usual you've come to my rescue once again. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.