Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I want to put oil cooler to my GL1500.
Can you tell me where can i connect it to the engine??
Will i have problems with the oil presure??

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

An oil cooler isn't really a good idea on a liquid cooled engine, why would you need it at all on a GL1500?. You usually see them on bikes that don't have LC. Mounting one on a GL1500 would be a challenge. I suppose just under the radiators and where the pop out panel sits. You'd need to cut that panel and have mounting brackets coming thru to sit the cooler on, or better still just remove the panel altogether.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

( Tee-Kan-is)

Is your bike running warm?

An oil cooler would be a waste of money on a Gold Wing !

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jdoohan wrote:
I want to put oil cooler to my GL1500.
Can you tell me where can i connect it to the engine??
Will i have problems with the oil presure??
If you're running too hot, there might be some other problem. Usually these bikes don't run all that hot.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Oil coolers are finein engines used for towing, performance or closed in from cooling air, but the Goldwings don't require one.. I've never seen one on bikes even with a side car and trailer. If your's is running hot, there's another problem somewhere that should be looked at. Warm oil is a good thing on Wings so it will carry as much sludge & carbon deposits as possible to the filter and lowest point in the engine block for draining.

If I may ask,, Why do you feel you need an oil cooler?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Renegade,

I really like my 1500, but looking at your picture there's no doubt the 1200 looks better in a frontal view!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Thanks Exavid... I stumbled across a bunch of Goldwing icons on the web somewhere and copied them...

I'm still waiting for this board to include 1200 icons along with all the 1000, 1100 - 1500 & 1800 icons...looks like I'll be waiting for a long time...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Paul, your just saying that because you know deep in your heart that you want a GL1200. There was a nice green one on Ebay a while back. LOL

Vic
I miss the GREEN MACHINE but I really like the RED ONE.

:waving::15red::waving:

Renegade,

That's the main reason I had to sell the GREEN MACHINE, there aren't any 1200 emoticons!

:baffled:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Renegade wrote:
I'm still waiting for this board to include 1200 icons along with all the 1000, 1100 - 1500 & 1800 icons...looks like I'll be waiting for a long time...
Hey Renegade :waving: Send a PM to Budegan and tell him to get his together :whip:

he is the man in charge of icons. :crying:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I have put a turbo on my bike.Thats why i want to connect oil cooler.Will i have problems with the oil presure??

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

You will probably get away with a small cooler, lesser drop in oil pressure that way. You will have to put more oil in the sump to compensate as well.

My question is, how did you fit a turbo to your 1500? Please share it with us, lots of people will be interested in this. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Budegan wrote:
You will probably get away with a small cooler, lesser drop in oil pressure that way. You will have to put more oil in the sump to compensate as well.

My question is, how did you fit a turbo to your 1500? Please share it with us, lots of people will be interested in this. :clapper:
Thank you for the advice.
I made some modifications to my GL1500.I made it the way i like it.I am sending you some pictures.It is not finished but you can understand the idea.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

There is another one so you can understand where i put the turbo.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wow! Goldwing Mach 2!

:weightlifter::jumper::whip:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Now there's a 1500 I could really enjoy. Beautiful engineering work jdoohan.

Why not just tap into the oil lines on the turbo and run the oil cooler in a series from the high pressure inlet side, out to the oil cooler, then back into the turbo. Should be an easy setup with stainless steel braided hose and fittings. It's very important to keep the oil going into the turbo below 240 degrees farenheit other wise it could turn to ash inside the turbo if the engine is shut down quickly after a hard run.

Vic

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

If you tapped the hi-pressure line, it might drop the pressure low enough to reduce the oil cusion in the turbo and cause damage.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

philcsand, I can't see a pressure drop if there is no thermostat in the oil cooler and the correct size lines are used. There could be a pressure drop if thehoses were undersize.

A small cooler, such as one from a power steering pump would be adequate for this purpose.

jdoohan, here's a site you may enjoy very much for help on your custom Wing;

http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltGoldwingsBarGrille/messages.msnw

You would be amazed at the originality and resourcefulness of the guys on that site.

Stop by and have a look sometime.

Vic

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.