Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Sorry for the slow responses...very sick for the past week.

I came out yesterday after a week of illness and found many parts on 1500 were showing signs if rust. Ths is a first for me. After moving from Colorado to Flordia, I didnt realize how the rain really affects our chrome. I am so upset at how much rust is on my once beautiful bike...Can anyone please give me direction on how to protect my bike and chrome from getting rusty in this nasty florida coast weather?

Thanks in Advance.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,848 Posts
imported post

When you get home, ride it into a "sleep bath", ala a "sheep dip" bath of oil. It won't rust that way.

Oh, you meant something more practical? :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
711 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Probably rusting from all the salt air off the ocean. Clean, good coat of wax, and get it under cover.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

0000 steel wool will get it clean then protect it with your choice of wax.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

If it's just surface rust, wad up a sheet or two of aluminum foil. Use it to remove the surface rust. Works great. Here in PCB I wet a rag with WD-40 and just wipe a light coat over the chrome; especially since my bike sits idle while I'm in Brazil.

0000 steel wool will work like Scott wrote, but use it with light pressure and let it work on its own. If you use too much pressure you'll end up with scratch and swirl marks.

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
imported post

As stated, not likely the rain but, the salt present in the air.
Frequent washing of the bike, coupled w/liberal doses of a metal sealer is required when living in areas such as you do!
Also, can't resist, if some of the rust is on Kury stuff. Not much help available there!

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

Getting the same thing here in Hawaii, with the salt water and amount or rain alot of my chrome is showing rust.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Yep you want to get it coated with something, wax oils etc.. to keep the salt away from it.

Be aware some chrome polishes may work for getting chrome to shine nice and remove rust, BUT often they have nothing to protect the chrome so it just rusts right back up fast or faster than before.

I think it was a Turtle wax chrome polish a friend used on his nice old car. Really made it look great! For about 4 days then the brown specks showed up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.