Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Someone posted this here the other day:

1100 engines start with SC02E-
20xxxxx =80
21xxxxx =81
22xxxxx =82
23xxxxx =83

My bike is an 82, and the PO told me that the engine in it had been replaced. I thought I'd go have a look at it to confirm that it was in fact a 1982 engine. So I went out with a flashlight, and what did I find?

Hmm. That's an interesting serial number. It appears that when Honda stamped the serial number on the engine casing, for some reason they used an arc welder to do it. Makes it kind of hard to read, though.

Just to be sure, I went and had a look at the serial number on my spare engine:

Yup. No problem reading that one.

So I guess the guys at the Honda engine factory were having an off day when they stamped the serial on the engine in my bike. At least, that's what I will choose to believe. :)

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I can see the numbers SCO2E and the first three numbers 221 then where it looks like someone hit it with a welder...So if it were my guess I would say it was an 82 engine........

Claude....

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Until someone with credible credentials convinces me otherwise...I think I would choose to believe that the engine (bike?) was stolen sometime between '82 and now...:doh::baffled::waving:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

FenderHead wrote:
Until someone with credible credentials convinces me otherwise...I think I would choose to believe that the engine (bike?) was stolen sometime between '82 and now...:doh::baffled::waving:
I would have to agree that it is stange that someone would try to hide the engine serial number. But anyway, all 82 engines were made in Ohio, according to my Honda Goldwing book.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
imported post

You don't find it strange that the numbers on the spare engine are evenly cast(the first common ones)and the rest hand stamped in the block and your installed engine are all hand stamped and uneven??

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

The engine casing on my 83 had "made in japan" cast into it just below the serial number. So unless it has that on it I would say it was made in the USA.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
The engine casing on my 83 had "made in japan" cast into it just below the serial number. So unless it has that on it I would say it was made in the USA.
That is strange, because my 81 which was built in July of 81 has Made in USA all over it. And according to my Gold Wing The First Twenty Years book, full Goldwing production started in May of 81 in Marysville Ohio along with engine casting in their (at the time) state of the art engine facility.:shock:

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I suspect as much. On the engine on my bike, the "SC02E" is stamped into the case. Below it, is another plate cast into it that says "MADE IN JAPAN".

On my spare engine, the "SC02E" is cast into the block (letters are raised, instead of sunken into the metal), and the "MADE IN JAPAN" plate is absent.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Is it possible that the cases were cast and numbered in Japan then transferred to the U.S. when production was started here? Maybe they had to re-stamp the numbers to coincide with the numbering here.

I know when I worked at Honda in Marysville, they would use parts from different manufacturers. Quality control usually caught blems or mis-stamped pieces, but you cant catch them all. Maybe who ever originally owned it did it not wanting the motor to be associated to them once they sold it. Could be a lot of different explanations for it.

As long as you bought the bike in "Good Faith" and not knowing anything was wrong with it, you will be fine. I wouldn't worry about it. I work in Law Enforcement and if you want some more info or help GS justPM me and I'll try and help ya out

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Clearly looks like the weld was to hide something, but I have tucked away a set of unused GL1800 cases and the engine number is blank.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Geordiemuppet wrote:
Clearly looks like the weld was to hide something, but I have tucked away a set of unused GL1800 cases and the engine number is blank.
Hold onto them, they can get damaged. One of my buddies busted the crankcase on his GL1800 riding up a kerb. He was able to get it welded professionally but he still doesn't feel too confident about it lasting.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

GSM- I think that you have replacement cases; even the SCO2E is hand stamped.

This was very common on CB750s which threw chains into the engine. The dealers got replacement cases from Honda. Sometimes they didn't even stamp numbers and left the cases blank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.