Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Where does this sludge come from?

966 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  JR831100 
#1 ·
Today I removed my 831100 water pump housing to put in a new water pump and found this sludge in the bottom of the housing. It looked chunky in places but when I rubbed the pieces between my fingers it gradually broke down into thick oil like sludge. Anybody know how this stuff gets in there and maybe how to prevent it from getting in there? The last photo is my way of keeping track of the different bolt sizes in the housing. I printed the pic from Goldwing Docs and taped it to a piece of cardboard. I punched a hole in the cardboard where each bolt goes and put the bolts in the holes to keep track of them that way. Thanks in advance for your comments. JR

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have read where that sludge is from mixing different oil brands, and the additives not mixing, also from carbon from not changing the oil enough. From my experience, I have seen some bikes that were neglected but clean on the inside, and others that were well maintained that looked worse than yours.

BTW: Will you send me your old pump if I pay the shipping?

Bill

#4 ·
Bill, that's an interesting point you made about the different oil and their additives. I used Valvoline mc oil for the first change and Delo 400 for the 2nd. Since using the Delo there seems to be more "oil/dust" on the outside bottom of the engine area so I'm planning to go back to the Valvoline. I can send you my old pump no problem. You planning on rebuilding it? I haven't received my new one yet but expect it this week.

#5 ·
I doubt that that much sludge was from only one or two oil brand changes, that is, if that is what really causes it. For me, I use Honda oil in all my Wings, but because I never bought one new, I can't say if that keeps sludge from collecting.

Yes, I have rebuilt a few lately, and would not mind having another on hand. I have given (installed) a couple to friends that needed them, now I would like to make a spare for myself. Is yours still spinning or is it locked? (not that it matters)

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.