Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a BUNCH of stuff on the '98 SE and I can't find where the sub filter is (I have a new one to replace it with). Also can't find it in the factory service manual. Dumb question I know, but using the Search feature on the forum has been no help. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
There is also one on the left side \behind where the reverse lever goes into the engine..it's "L" shaped and is for the cruise control.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I was able to find (and replace) the cruise filter...but the location of the sub filter eluded me :)

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Dan, take a look at this picture and see if it helps in showing you where the sub filter is located. It is behind this panel on the right side about where the red circle is.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Hey Dan, did you find the sub filter yet?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Larry...yes I found it, thanks to everyone's help.
My garage looks like a bomb went off in there as I have bodywork laying around everywhere! I wanted to do everything at once, and this is the list:

Air filter
Sub filter
Cruise filter
Air pump filter
Timing belts
Spark plugs
New rear tire
Final drive oil
Install grip heaters
Whatever else come up

So, I'm about half way thorough the project and so far so good. I'm thankful for all of the help available on this forum.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Some things I didn't see listed was fuel filter, lubing the drive splines with Moly 60 Paste and pull the speedo cable and lube it. Also a good time to clean up and inspect everything that is hidden behind all those panels, bags, etc.

I know what you mean about your shop looking like there was an explosion in there. Same way mine looked when I had all that stuff off doing exactly what you are doing now. I did all that stuff to mine after I got it about three years ago. That is a good way to get familiar with the new to you machine.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Also lube all your cables with a good cable lube if you want them to last. Not good to get out on the road and have a cable break from lack of proper lubrication maintenance.

Also clean all the switches behind the tupperware with electrical contact cleaner, all the switches need cleaning yearly.

Brake and clutch fluids fully cleaned out at master cylinders and fresh flushed and bleed the systems.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions...I'm doing most of those things even though they were not on my list. Yes, used Moly 60 from the Honda dealer on the splines, doing everything as per the manual.

Enjoyed working on all previous bikes and ATVs over the years. Can't say the same about this one. It's like a 900 pound Rubik's Cube. But...I'm not willing to pay the dealer $80 an hour for routine stuff I can do myself.

Thank goodness for this Forum. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.