Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
imported post

This has been asked on forums quite a few times & the answer sems to vary. Only the original designer would be able to tell you for certain, but here is my slant on it:

Since 1971, there had been a touring motorcycle rally in Ruidoso, New Mexico whichbears the name Aspencade. The name came from an annual civic festival, which celebrated the changing colors of the aspen (birch) trees.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

HammernNails wrote:
:action:Where is the word Aspencade from and what does it mean?
That's like the "GL" question, ie it's a question without an answer because Honda never enlightened us. dellwoods Mexican rally explanation ssounds reasonable to me. :)

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
That's like the "GL" question, ie it's a question without an answer because Honda never enlightened us.
Doesn't that just say it all! The New Mexico story is a popular one so I'll go alongwith that. :)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings.

When I was stationed at Holoman AFB back in the mid 70's, we used to go to the Aspencade in Ruidoso. The rally was open to anyone on two wheels, and even trikes.

I recall it was held in the earlyfall as the Aspens were turning golden.

It was a relaxed atmosphere and everyone got along for the most part. The police were lenient, the locals were happy, and you could find what ever party you were looking for. This all framed in by a beautiful mountain background and great weather.

I think but do not know for sure that this rally may have precluded Sturgis by a year or two. I may be wrong.

Happy holidays to all.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Greetings.

When I was stationed at Holoman AFB back in the mid 70's, we used to go to the Aspencade in Ruidoso. The rally was open to anyone on two wheels, and even trikes.

I recall it was held in the earlyfall as the Aspens were turning golden.

It was a relaxed atmosphere and everyone got along for the most part. The police were lenient, the locals were happy, and you could find what ever party you were looking for. This all framed in by a beautiful mountain background and great weather.

I think but do not know for sure that this rally may have precluded Sturgis by a year or two. I may be wrong.

Happy holidays to all.

Hobie
Interesting stuff Hobie. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank you all.

I was having a discussion with a buddy of mine on the weekend and we were both trying to figure it out.

I just bought a 1983 GL1100 Goldwing. And I am dying to drive it, a little to cold and to much snow to ride..:(

Again Thanks to all who replied..:)

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Thats one of those questions that will be doing the rounds for years to come.!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

On a likewise note, why did Honda decise to change the name from Gold Wing to Goldwing (one word)?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the name configuration change but then, I didn't know that Goldwings have been built in the US for years:?until after I bought my 83 Interstate in March of this year.:goofygrin:

Nice to read this board. Interesting stuff.

Hobie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.