Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the obvious bad crush washer or leaking oil filter is there any other possibilities of drops of oil coming off the left side off the bottom pretty much across from the oil drain bolt. I have changed the oil twice now I still have a small drip like 4 or so drops after a ride. It does seem to stop after it sits but there was a fair amount of gunk on the left side and bottom in all those fins, leading me to believe it is coming out when I ride and then only a few residual drops after I stop. Help please I hope it isn't serious:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I pull the left side exhaust and protector. The 90 degree shifter pedal removal from the shift shaft itself can be problematic. There's very little room between the end of the shaft and the frame to remove and replace the lever. Most of the time you can squeeze it out and in...but last one I did I had too put a jack under the engine and loosen the subframe to gain clearance...not that hard.

Sometimes they come out but don't like to go back in and line up the splines at the same time. Some people grind the shift shaft end of the pedal a couple millimeters so it can be removed and installed easier.

The seal is ezy to replace...it's not a tight fitting seal at all. Your old one is likely already popped out. All in all, it's a reasonable DIY...a lift sure is nice or you'll be on your knees quit a bit. It's mostly nuts and bolts with a little cussing.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I found a thread that described it, with a few variations of course. I think I will get as much out of the way as possible, so probably do the exhaust drop down. There is something about laying it on it's side that just doesn't seem right! I will post when I get around to it for more questions I am sure.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...There is something about laying it on it's side that just doesn't seem right! ...
No need to lay the bike down! This is an easy repair, 1-2 hrs

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Shift Lever

When I did this seal on mine I found that using a wooden wedge between the engine and frame, there was enough gap to remove the lever. Be gentle with the wedge and there is no need to use a large lump hammer :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
When I did this seal on mine I found that using a wooden wedge between the engine and frame, there was enough gap to remove the lever. Be gentle with the wedge and there is no need to use a large lump hammer
...Or use a Dremal tool with tiny grinding wheel, and remove a sliver of material from the end of the shifter bar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.