Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok Guys,

On my 90 1500 there is a dead stop when starting out which is not fun when turning a corner slow in town. I've run two tanks with seafoam though it ,new air filter, new plugs (gaped at .0035) replaced two vac tubes on the left intake that looked bad but still have this problem plus rough idle .. I figured I'd adj. the pilot screws but I can't find them.:shock: My clymer book says they are above the radiators and can be adj. using a long screwdriver. No matter howI twist and turn my light and head I just don't see them!!!! I, however, have not synced the carbs yet. Should I do that before the pilots Or not?? If I can get to the pilots at all.????

Another thing. Do you all run high test gas or some lower octane fuel in you wings?

Any help would be very appreciated Thanks guys

Dick

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

Dick, In the manual click on troubleshooting then choose fuel system. Page through to lean fuel mixture until you see carburetor air jet control system. There are 2 vacuum solenoids. One is open at idle and supplies air for the idle circuit. The other supplies air for the main circuit. The main is larger and if it were open it could cause what you are talking about. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

ELKMAN121,

Pull the carbs.

Sync is to be performed at idle speed per service manual and affects idle quality (not high rpms).

The problem with the pilot idle screws other than being hard to get atis that they have a plastic cover over them that limits rotation. Good luck in getting them off.

I think you are going to have too pull the carbs. A few checks would be make sure your sliders are not stuck, and that the accelerator pump is operational. Do try and sync and the use of a vacuum gage may reveal another leak. Idle screw will only affect the engine performance quality at idle.

Other that using your choke, pull the carbs.

If you are stumbling in aturn, I would assume your engine speed is higher than idle rpms. I would still suspect a vacuum leak and/orlean condition from main jets.

redwing52, the air jets work at idle? I will have to check that out. If so, then a simpleplug in the line. But, i thought these solenoids worked at higher engine speeds and rapid deceleration.

I hate these carbs.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Redwing Thanks for the info BUT I tryed to load the site you sent and I do not have winzip to open the damn thing. I tryed to check the vac controls but the CB was in the way and I wanted to ride with the final nice weather we are having. I'll have to dig deeper this winter.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Foosman.

Thanks for the info too!. Man I hate to have to pull those carbs. What a pain in the A>>. I do know that one of the vac controls the high speed return but not sure on the other. These wings are fun to ride but a pain to work on huh!!! Remember I put lithium grease in the throttle slide before! I did take it back apart and clean it all off with carb cleaner. The bike runs great after that slow speed hesitation. It does however has a spot when chugging in high up a hill the it seems to have low power.??? I'm just confused about the whole thing. :?:?:baffled:

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you dont need to touch the pilot screws ...unless someone already monkeyed with them...you need a speacial tool anyway... and they are usually stuck in good....you have other carb issues.....read rings needed or not blog...ron sena...im going to bed!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.