Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Need an engine. Where can I buy a good used 1200i . Mine is Shot and I have no intrest in rebuilding it, I just want to replace it

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

I saw 3 or 4 on Ebay today in the $3-$400 range.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

First of all, I think you are making a good choice. The Goldwing engine was never really designed to be rebuilt like an older car engine, and between the price of parts and the fact that many of them have been discontinued, it can be an expensive and frustrating job. Check eBay, put an ad on Craigslist, or check a couple of online places like Whiteys. You might be able to turn up a cheap parts bike with a good engine for cheap. Try to avoid engines that have been sitting, especially if they have the carbs or exhaust off. They usually get full of water, and are a solid chunk of rust and corrosion. It sure would be nice if you could get rebuilt engines for Goldwings like you can for cars. Many people, like me, prefer the older bikes, but many of them are now reaching the end of their useful life, and rebuilding is not a practical option.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Does an one have a list of bike salvage yards in Ontario, or even in Canada. I found some good engines in the USA but delivery over the boarder is an issue. Need a good 1200i

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Joe 50 wrote:
Does an one have a list of bike salvage yards in Ontario, or even in Canada. I found some good engines in the USA but delivery over the boarder is an issue. Need a good 1200i
http://www.google.ca/search?q=salvage+yards+in+Ontario%2C&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.mandriva:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=8Mc&rls=com.mandriva:en-US%3Aofficial&q=motorcycle+salvage+yards+in+Ontario%2C&pbx=1&oq=motorcycle+salvage+yards+in+Ontario%2C&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=28957l38146l0l41596l11l11l0l0l0l0l508l2246l0.7.3.5-1l11l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4dae039421fa7d9d&biw=1280&bih=893

Any 1200 engine will work although some will require a little wiring modification for the pulse generators and or the gear indicator switch.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Is your motor really shot or does it just need the heads reworked or even just a head gasket? How many miles do you have on your current motor? You don't hear of too many 1200's with lower engine problems, not that you couldn't have one with bad rod bearings or a bent rod. I've heard that carbs being out of sync will cause the motor to sound like it has bad rod bearings.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I have merged your two threads on this into one Joe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.