Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After reading all the horror stories about Goldwing water pumps being destroyed by silicate based coolant, I just can't find anywhere that sells teh proper silicate free coolant. I've searched all over Meath and Dublin and no-one knows what I'm talking about when I ask for it. Can anyone here please tell me where I can get silicate free coolant for my Goldwing? Don't even mention Honda in Ballymount, they don't sell the proper Honda coolant for their own bikes!

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Exactly the same happened to me last winter . I decided to change the coolant and had seen the same horror stories on the GWRRA site, so I asked all the south east dealers and they never heard of such a problem and never heard of silicates??. They were using CASTROL anti freeze and it did not cause any problem --- was their reply. Then I put a message on Steves site and he gavea list but I could not find them on any forecourtor motor factors. All the cans that I have looked at do not mention silicates, does that mean they are silicate free or they contain silicates in another format.

Here are a few questions that I would like to get answers for......

1. Are we being to cautious?

2. Are silicates are thing of the past, ie. not found in moderd coolants?

3. Are later water pumps able to withstand silicates?

BTW I did not drain the cooling system at all because I decided that the devil you know is better than the one you dont know. The bike is 1999

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I found it.. We have plenty of it here in the states. It's called Havoline Extended Life antifreeze / coolant, made by Texaco. (Dex-Cool) General Motors approved. The label shows 5 year / 150,000 mile protection, 1 - US gallon (3.785 litre) and it sells here for $6.83 U.S. Directions indicate that it be mixed with distilled water, it is silicate free and is currently used in all new General Motors manufactured vehicles because it will not damage cooling system seals. I flushed my GL1200 and refilled it with the Havoline.Havoline also has a silicate free coolant that is pre-mixed for twice the price, so if you have access to a very good water filter unit, the concentrated formula is the way to go.. It's pink in color, and guranteed not to harm the seal on water pumps. I now use it in both my 4-wheel vehicles. At this time, I have only found it in Walmart stores and no where else. Renegade

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Ya Bro, that's the right stuff! I better get some soon because "Shell" just finalized their deal on buying out "Texaco"!

Also "Peak Anti-freeze" makes a Silcate free Anti freeze, It's available every where in the US, I'm not sure about over the Pond?

peakantifreeze.com

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

I dont know if you have the equivalent of Walmart or Canadian Tire over there but in Canada, both of these places have silicate free coolant. I would suggest that you go to a General Motors dealer and enquire there.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.