Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had the misfortune of being sideswiped off my bike by a bear. Insurance Co deemed it a write off and I'm owner of a busted bike as I had no comprehensive coverage.
Where or how can I, from Canada, get a hold of some usable hurting/salvage GL1800 to save my ouch'd 07 Wing? I've tried insurance co but was told they have groups they automatically turn them over to and the few recyclers I approached had no GL1800 in stock. Help! :?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That's basically what the police officer told me, reminding me of accidents involving large animals and autos often worse. Now if only the bike could heal like my cracked ribs have.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

I have no idea how to get in to the insurance auctions . Its very unlikely that late model Goldwings are just sitting collecting dust in barns yet either . I would begin to keep an eye open at ebay and just begin to gather bits one at a time .

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear this. The problem is that front end bits are more scarce than the rear baggage. The latter is more available from outfits that trike out M/Cs.

Are you planning to do the work yourself?

I would make sure the frame is A-1 and then start shopping. Ebay is likely going to be your best bet but pricing will be competitive for the plastics.Try US dealers for pricing to see how they compare to Canadian. Also see how aftermarket bits price out.

I don't understand the insurance involvement. Did they walk away leaving you holding the bag?

Their write off may have come from a dealer using all new parts. Understandable as a shop wouldn't want to spend time shopping ebay while a bike took up shop space.

Do you have a list of parts needed and how long are you prepared to wait to get it back on the road?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Go Nakked? I haven't seen a naked 1800. You might start a trend!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

OldSchool_IsCool wrote:
Go Nakked?  I haven't seen a naked 1800.  You might start a trend!
That thought has crossed my mind, not sure which would be more work, rebuild or redesign?
I do know that this "wimp" would be colder up here, in Canada, naked.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Re: nobbie from home town. Yes I would do all the work to keep price in the "worth it" category.
The way the bear hit bike and bike continued on without me has me thinking frame is straight, but I did notice, on guard rail careened side, fork tube has small bend. Is that really bad?
Yes, the write-off seams to be from labor and dealer prices ($9-12k) to fix. And as Insurance Co reminded me, the last couple years I declined collision and compr. to keep soaring ($2-3K/yr) insurance from sometimes being $100/ride in my average short season. (Took a chance till record cleared, Ouch!)
Willing ,for financial reasons, to take the time it needs as bike needs headlights, front fairings and side grills, fans, rads, various clips/mounts and a few connectors rectified. Also both saddlebags and tail lights and whatever forks needs for correction.
This feels like mission impossible without that "perfect salvage bike" for a wholesale price.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Iraqi Ram, I'll check those although not ungrateful, I'm hesitant to deal with some "daunting" auctions I'm not close enough to drive to/deal in person. After peaking, SD one looks appealing.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
That looks bad. You were lucky to walk away from it.
I'm not sure I would have wanted to walk away from it. (just kidding on that one) but that is a HUGE loss. An '07 totaled, and no insurance? I think I would die of a heart attack.

I do not have comp and collision, or anything else on any of my bikes, just state required minimum liability. I have health insurance from work, and never carry a passenger except once in a while one of my daughters,, and they have medical insurance. Counting scooters, I have 7 bikes. No way can I afford to insure them. But I have not had an accident since 1985, when I was sideswiped on my Yamaha XS1100 Special by some idiot in a Suburban trying to pass me on the shoulder. His insurance paid big time.

As for the bikes I have now, none of them are worth even close to what an '07 Goldwing is, and while it would hurt to lose one, I have no choice but to accept the risk. If I had been paying full coverage on all the bikes I have owned over the years that I had no accidents or claims, I would have thrown away enough money to have bought a brand new Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Three years of no insurance according to you is equivalent to $6-9K, so maybe you did okay after all.

Can you fix it with a 2002-2007 Goldwing?

I used to know these guys, though it's been a while. Maybe they have the parts or can direct you to somebody.

MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE & DEALERS SALVAGE - 443 E. Liberty Street - Sumter, SC 29153 Phone: 803 773-3535 Fax: 803 773-7149

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

JerryH, I'm with you with insurance, when the price starts to equal to a substantial amount of the replacement cost in a few years one starts to think. Since my 23yrs of riding I had not seen an accident (although many close ones) I decided to fight recent surcharge (bad record) with going minimum coverage for the last 3yrs. Looking back, that was badly timed as this was my first bike I couldn't afford to buy cash outright (still more than half to go).
Sand...750, You could say if I can fix bike under $5k that I broke even (not counting time/work). And yes, it does look like acquiring a usable body of an 02-10 GL1800 should work.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks Big Port..6. That link (similar to Iraqi Ram's) has got me hoping.
My question now is, do they allow Canadian non-dealers to bid on S D's auctions and how difficult or expensive is it to get into Canada afterwards?
"I'll have to check into that"

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

There's a few places in VA as well that might have some salvage parts. I can't tell you off the top of my head, but google can. I know they at least have the rims for an 04 gl1800. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.