Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK the Colo trip was fantastic!!

Now I want to go West to Az. (Never been there either) from 88310 (Alamogordo N.M.)

I got 3 maybe 4 days to do it. (Tues morn - Fri night)

Need to camp in tent for cheap.

I canride 8-10 hrs. one way.
Camp
Ride around all day.
Camp
Ride back.

Any ideas?

Help me map it:
http://g.co/maps/k4p24

Thx
-Stv..

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
imported post

Well, you say 3 to 4 days.

I can get you started for the first full day, really you should take two days because you need to stop and look around.

this is my map of the start of your route.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=216599814421750813108.0004ad589ef64fd3e1f41

4 days? Go to Showlow, Heber, Payson, to Mesa, to Globe and back home across thru Silver City.

Or, at Showlow, go south on 60, beautiful ride, some of the best except for around Hannigan's meadows which you will be going through. At Globe you can go to Safford and back home, or south to Tucson and then across I-10. That is a real drag thru there though…..

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

StereoSteveo wrote:
Thx AZ.
I forgot to mention I've been up all through the Silver City area. But that's always worth another go.
I took a tour through the Gilas last time I went West. Stayed at a little 4 spot campground on the side of the road, around Glenwood, and stayed a night in Silver City as well. I was on my way to El Paso and they had Hwy 180 closed due to a hard blowing wind, and was informed the highway would be open as soon as they graded the sand from the road. I turned around and stayed in Silver City.

The next morning I took off to see my buddy in Hatch and when I got to the railroad tracks just west of Bayard, I saw the dust settling from a wreck between a pickup truck and an El Camino. T-bone collision at an intersection. I got to the El Camino and 2 blood covered guys got out of the passenger side of the El Camino and were screaming "where's Anthony?" I told them there was still a guy in the driver's seat. They both said there were 4 of them in the El Camino, one apparently riding in the back under the camper shell. The camper shell was knocked off, and tool boxes scattered everywhere.

I walked to the drivers side to check on the driver, and spotted Anthony laying on the ground right next the the vehicle. Me and another guy checked on him, it was obvious he was gone.

Pretty bad accident.

My memories of Silver City, NM.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Ride through Show Low to the Mogollon rim into Strawberry, then onto Camp Verde to Cottonwood to Jerome. From Jerome, head to Prescott. Incredible views all the way...

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

This may be a little far for 4 days. It takes in Alpine, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and it's not really SE Az.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

You might want to check out winter adventure. todhpa did some national parks tour down in that area. some real nice pictures.
I believe he was camping the whole time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.