Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Wing and want to mount a voltmeter....I'm thinking of mounting it in the black rectangular section to the right of my right knee. I haven't had the bike that long so I have not removed that section of tupperware to see what's behind there. Can anyone tell me if there would be about 2" of depth to have the voltmeter there?
Also open to other suggestions where to mount it.....pics would be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pics. I have a round meter like the one in the first pic. So how much room is there behind that panel on an 04?

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I have a round meter like the one in the first pic. So how much room is there behind that panel on an 04?
Should be plenty of room, I have a power outlet and a small digital volt meter there.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,130 Posts
I put mine under the right pocket, perfect position for it.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good stuff guys, thanks for the input. Gonna get after it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
686 Posts
I put mine under the right pocket, perfect position for it.

View attachment 325759
Unfortunately, that's where the grip heater dial goes if you have that option.

I'd like to add one to my bike too, and I've seen them tucked behind the speaker grilles somehow. Just one more thing I need to go look up!

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts

I'd like to add one to my bike too, and I've seen them tucked behind the speaker grilles somehow. Just one more thing I need to go look up!
01-05 did not have grip heaters, 06-10 have the NAV controls there if it has that option. 12-17 have the grip heater control there.

·
Pwhoever
3,292 Posts

Pretty simple to do the behind the grill as I did on mine pictured above. It's a simple "waterproof" digital volt meter that can be found on ebay. Mine was around $6. I used 3m dual lock to attach it and meter is easily removable for maintenance. It is wired into the cig power port wiring in left dash pocket. I added spade connectors in case it needs to be unplugged. A 2 pin connector would have been a good idea but the wires on back of volt meter are pretty thin and a bit hard to work with. Came out pretty good.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
686 Posts
01-05 did not have grip heaters, 06-10 have the NAV controls there if it has that option. 12-17 have the grip heater control there.
Really? My '03 and my brother's '02 have grip heaters there.

Reactions: klook

·
Pwhoever
3,292 Posts
Really? My '03 and my brother's '02 have grip heaters there.
Before 06, you could add heated grips as a Hondaline accessory but they didn't come stock. That is most likely what you and your brother have. The Hondaline kit would come with the dial controller that gets mounted in the right panel by your leg.

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
Before 06, you could add heated grips as a Hondaline accessory but they didn't come stock. That is most likely what you and your brother have. The Hondaline kit would come with the dial controller that gets mounted in the right panel by your leg.
I did not know that, have never seen an early model with that.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
686 Posts
Saying "they didn't come with them" when they were an OEM accessory seems like a fine line. ;)

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a dual USB port for my boat last year and it had a volt meter in between the ports. Nice bright blue. Worked fine. Had a cover to keep the weather out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts