Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i got tired of my GPS windsheild mount because when i hit a bigger bump it would fall half the time , so since i work in a machine shop this is what i came up with and i love it !!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

fits ontop of factory handle bar caps

Attachments

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i hate double posts !!!!!

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

sits in good veiw

Attachments

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

not in the way of ingnion or gauges

Attachments

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

Nice work! Looks great! :thumbsup:

John

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

lookin good...

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
imported post

Excellent, is it aluminum or stainless? If aluminum you could easily black oxide.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Looks ab fab.
I did notice you've got one of those "Jimmy Carter" odometers :cheesygrin:

Dave.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

ok i have got to ask ,, what is a jimmy carter odometer ??

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

countryboy843 wrote:
ok i have got to ask ,, what is a jimmy carter odometer ??
Lol, I think he was referring to the maximum 85 MPH speedometer of that era. :waving:

John

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

ok yah its low for the speed it will go . i have burried the needle a couple times

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

First of all, it is the speedometer, not the odometer. But don't blame Jimmy Carter for that one. That was Joan Claybrook's doing. She was the enemy of motor vehicle enthusiasts of all kinds.

I notice you have one of those fancy units with downloadable maps. I have a simple yellow Garmin eTrex, which I had mounted on the 7/8" diameter handlebars of my dual sport (great for finding your way out of whatever you rode into, or refinding your way back to a great camping spot, etc.) When the speedometer quit on my 1200LTD, I hacked off the stem of an old 10mm mirror, welded a piece of 7/8" steel tubing to it, screwed it into the unused mirror mount on the clutch master cylinder, and attached the GPS unit to it. I found a RAM mount specifically designed for a 10mm mirror mount and ordered it. I will use it mainly for a speedometer/odometer. I have another GPS, a Garmin eTrex Venture, that fits the same cradle. I'm a bit old fashioned, and still like maps, especially on the highway. If I get lost in town, I will pull over and look at a map, figure out how to get where I'm going, then get back on the road. I don't like looking at a map or pushing buttons while riding, especially in town.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
imported post

I like maps best too, I even collect old maps ..... have highway maps and some guide books that were used before road maps dating back into early 1900s, and then some older ones showing trails, etc. But .... after Santa Clause brung me a Garmin a few years ago, I started using it to "augment" my maps. :thumbsup:

Here's looking at Garmin Novi 250W on GL1500 Trike. I made my mounts as well, got tired of ball socket letting it move at bumps, etc.

Mounting is two piece, a base plate on Wing, an adapter I made to "RAM mount" snap type mount. It is a very securecradle, picked up two while at it onAmazon last year, not expensive either.

Picture below, not sure what white looking dust is up top, it was inside the plastic face and is gone after cleaning when I replaced all my GL1500's dash light bulbs ....

Same mount swapped over to '85 GL1200.

Garmin snapped in placeon our1200

On both bikes, Garmin get's power from 12 vdc outlet in left side pocket, excess lead coiled up inside pocket. Power comes on with key in accy or run, is fed via relay and fused supply.

:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

yes i can make more , the price im not sure about because i used some scrap aluminum to make mine but would have to get my boss to order me some more material to make more . as far as making it i could have it made it done in a day as soon as i get my mill free for alittle bit

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

if more people wanted them it would really cut down on costs for material and i could setup the machines and run several at one time . and this fits my garmine nuvi the ball size is .674 , if anyones wants one i need to know that this would fit or i will need the diameter of your ball to make changes

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

1. Sign me up for one. I also like what GS did with his. Check out his video
  2. [flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/tMWYphLPalw&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Old Broad
3,841 Posts
imported post

I have mounted mine on my clutch resvoir& run the power via a power socketon my left pocket.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.