Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm rewiring all the extra lights, bells and whistles on an 88 wing which I bought in the spring. Most lights were wired directly to the battery with inline fuses. Even with the key in the off position everything is on unless I turn off ALL the switches. I see an accessory circuit on the fuse box ( keyed circuit ), but it's only rated at 5amps. which is not enough. Is there any other keyed power source I can run all the accessories from?

Thanks, Tom Mc

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I have quite a few accessories, extra lighting, heated clothing etc and I have installed 2 fuse blocks to power my current 'stuff' and have enough for future 'needs'. I have also installed a Compu-Fire alternator to keep up with all the electrical demands.

I based my aux wiring on Rudy's schematics, which Mike provided the link to.

Here's my current aux wiring schematics for my bike, in which all buttwo items(1 12v outlet[former cigarette lighter] and my BMW style outlet for heated clothing)wired to turn off/on with the ignition.

Itall works great and no problems

HTH - Dusty

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

thanks for posting this information mikef , i will bookmark this , +100

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Oh, I forgot to mention that the cord for the batter tender is also wired directly to the battery. TheSAE connection is located under the fuel filler door, where I can eitherplug in the battery tender to top up the battery, or I can also use my smallsolar panel to help keep it topped up when camped and playing my MP3 player. I also have the 12v plug with a SAE connectorthat plugs directly into the one 12v outlet, to keep it topped up.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks to everyone. I actually chose the diagram from Mikef
since it was almost identical to what I had laid out. Everything works and no blown fuses. I still have 3 rogue wires which don't seem to power anything. I'll have to trace them out tomorrow. I filled a small garbage bag with all the old burned wires, crimp connectors and inline fuse holders.
Someday this bike will be nice - just not today.
Thanks again, Tom Mc

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

YOUR BIKE IS GORGEOUS, I HAVE DONE THE SAME THING WITH BAD WIRING.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Just looking at your picture, rstar96. Nice bike. What happened to the front fender?

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Mike,
My fender was missing when I bought it. Believe it or not, this photo is after about 20 hours of cleaning and also replacing the seats and a few smaller pieces. In the photo you can't see that all 3 caliphers are locked - the only way to roll it is to start it and put it in gear.Both tires are bald, carbs are clogged, wiring burned, rusted all over. The bike suffered a 4 year existence under a tarp outside in NY state. Since then, I've extensively
cleaned it, new seat and backrest, arm rests, driver backrest, new front fender, rebuilt all caliphers, all new brake pads, new wheel bearings, new AGM battery, rewiring ( presently )
and a new windshield on order. I believe the last thing to do is the carbs. After that, we'll be on the road and find out what else need to be done. Thanks again for the wiring info.
P.s. I include a photo the day it came home.
Tom Mc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I will never understand, why people do what they do, with some of these bikes. Looks like by the paint and some add on accessories, someone took pride in it at one time.

Good luck with the restoration. You will have a fine machine, when finished.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.