Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Dell Precision T3400 for more than 10 years, (OS is Windows 10 Ent) , , it finally would "intermittently" refuse to power up. I got another T3400 in good shape recently and I wanted to put the HDD from the old computer into the new computer as a "second hard drive". I was negligent and did not "back up" the old HDD before installing it into the new computer. I pulled the old HDD out and installed it in the new computer without a hitch using the available slot and SATA cable. I started it up, went into the bios and it showed up fine. HOWEVER, when I try to find my old pictures on that old HDD, the pictures, downloads, and documents folders are GONE. No pictures, no downloads, and no documents show up in my explore feature. Using "disk management", the old HDD is partitioned correctly, and is "healthy", but some of the "folders" that had been on there aren't there now.

Is there a procedure I can use to find my old pics and stuff on that old hard disk drive?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
download any edition of Linux Mint and install it to a Flashdrive as a Live ISO. you can use a Windows app called RUFUS to do that.

oh, the Flashdrive needs to be 4gB minimum... it takes about that much to install it. most are 16gB now anyway.

Configure the BIOS to boot off of USB, then boot the PC up and open the File Manager..... you might have to turn off 'FASTBOOT', I can't recall if windows had that feature 10 years ago?
that is done while windows is up and running, go into Settings,
or, just click on the Windows Key and type Fastboot and then select SHUTDOWN... nothing else.

I recommend that you use 19.3 Cinnamon to do this, because that version is identical to the "Windows Look and Feel"... you will be right at home with it.

use the Windows Key & 'e' to bring up NEMO ( file manager )
you will find your pictures in /Users/My Documents/Pictures
ASSUMING that is where you put them....

no matter, you can cruise thru that disk with ease.... once you find them, COPY them, do NOT attempt to MOVE them... that is a disaster waiting throw every thing away.

use this link, and then select from one of the Repositories down below. It don't matter which one. it is a 1.8gB file and will take a while depends on the speed of your internet connection.

call me on the phone once you get it downloaded, and I will walk you thru step by step.

918. 613. Nine Five tharee Zaro

.and help you find the files.

there are other tricks to verify the integrity of that HDD, we will talk about that.

·
Registered
756 Posts
They should be there under \users\"username"\ but you will need admin rights to access them. You should get a popup asking for admin confirmation before you can see them. There is also the possibility that the default location was changed. In that case just do a search for them on that drive.
Since it is Enterprise edition, there is a possibility that group policy was used to change the location or encrypted those folders with EFS. If that is the case Linux will never see them, and without the RSA key you will have to get that drive to boot up to get them back.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
SUCCESS!!!! (But don't ask me how I did it)

I'm pretty close to completely "computer illiterate"

The admin rights/sharing was not properly configured, I guess. I could open the "users" folder but when I clicked "owner" folder (which is where I thought my picture folders were previously stored), it said I didn't have permission to access. I right clicked the folder and changed the "sharing" tab to "system". It then showed me all my picture folders and I'm good to go.

As I said in the beginning, I'm not 100% sure if I did it right, or even that I did exactly what I describe, , , but bottom line is that I got all my "panel" pics back and put em in the cloud for back-up.

The new T3400 has a 500Gb hard drive (boot) and the hard drive from my "broken" computer is a 1T (non-boot) which will be used as a secondary HDD. Will the difference in storage capacity be a problem in the future? I'm pretty sure both are 7200 rpm drives.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The 1T will be a good storage drive. Get yourself an SSD for the boot drive and you will be amazed at how much faster the computer feels.

That permission box was the thing I mentioned. You could have just clicked continue and the permission would have been granted, too. A lot easier than older versions of Windows. Anytime you see that little shield on a button, it is saying that you will need admin permission to select it. If you are not logged in as admin you will get the option to approve the action.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, that is the pop-up that drove me crazy. When I hit continue, the top line began a "progressive" green line on the top of the page, as if downloading something. It turned the top line totally green to the down arrow/Xbox and the blue circle kept going round and round but nothing happened. I did it numerous times and after 5 solid minutes of waiting, I canceled it without getting "permanent access" like it says. I remember the "group policy" thingy too, ,but not sure what I did about it.
Anyway, its working now and my pics are in good shape. problem solved, , , THANKS for the help

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
glad you got it done with a minimum of fuss

1 - 7 of 7 Posts