Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A lady friend and myself were on the way back from the state fair on a two lane highway needed to turn left . slowed down turned on signal got ready to turn then i glanced in my mirrors and seen the scariest sight of my life a suv coming up on us at about 60 thank god i was over to the right a bit waiting to turn, he swerved out in the left lane and once again thank god there wasnt an oncoming car, but anways. im looking to light up the back of my 84 1200a as bright as possible, would anyone happen to have some plans or some ideas on this? anyone that hasnt i would strongly advise doing something simular. that was way to close for comfort. aslo my manuel doesnt say anything about adjusting the brake light to where i wouldnt have to push down so far to make it come on,. anyone have any suggestions, thanks much , i recently did the alternator conversion on my bike so it should be able to handle the extra load. Hammer

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Adjuster for the rear brake light is the switch down by your right foot. you can rais and lower the switch to change sensitivity. I am thinking the spinning LED style of brake lught is a good way to go. Personally I have to turn left off a major highway when I come home from town, no turning lane, dam semi's often will not slow or move. Generally try to stagger myself in traffic for a safe turn but of course sometimes an oncoming line up screws that plan:gunhead: So yup I sit on the centre line and suck er up:baffled:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Wildcat. Yea im still pulling my shorts out of the backside after this experience tonight, where would a guy find the LED lights?

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

hammer wrote:
A lady friend and myself were on the way back from the state fair on a two lane highway needed to turn left . slowed down turned on signal got ready to turn then i glanced in my mirrors and seen the scariest sight of my life a suv coming up on us at about 60 thank god i was over to the right a bit waiting to turn, he swerved out in the left lane and once again thank god there wasnt an oncoming car, but anways. im looking to light up the back of my 84 1200a as bright as possible, would anyone happen to have some plans or some ideas on this? anyone that hasnt i would strongly advise doing something simular. that was way to close for comfort. aslo my manuel doesnt say anything about adjusting the brake light to where i wouldnt have to push down so far to make it come on,. anyone have any suggestions, thanks much , i recently did the alternator conversion on my bike so it should be able to handle the extra load. Hammer

On your 84 1200A, do the lights running across the trunk flash when you apply the brakes. On my bike, they do, and I am not sure if that is OEM or a modification. The whole light rail flashes as well as the main brake light coming on steady, so it at least seems to be very visible.-everyone here says it is anyway.

Did you move to the right a bit when preparing to make the left turn because you saw the rapidly approaching SUV, or do you always do that? To my way of thinking, you should have been hugging the center line with the left signal on if you were about to turn left and had to wait for uncoming traffic. That way, the cager from behind could have gotten past you on your right, and he should have slowed down to do so. We do that while in cars and we always have to rely on the rear light visibility to warn overtaking traffic and hopefully prevent them from rearending us. A daunting feat on a cycle.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

You might want to check into a brakelight modulator. You can always just pulse the brake light with your front brake lever also. I have the light bars on the back that the PO used for light parades. I don't know how he kept from frying the stator so I disconnected most of them. Since I now have several lights that aren't used, I connected 4 of them to the brake light circuit and put a LED strip up on my trunk to be more in line of site for the cagers.

The rotating or spinning LED brake light may or may not be legal in your state. You might check before spending the cash as you may have to pay more down the road. This all being said, situational awareness is the best defense against cagers who have their head tucked up their butt so far they can see out their navel.:X

I had an older gentleman come to a stop about a foot off of my bumper yesterday. I had no where to go as I was boxed in traffic. He didn't know what to do when I turned completely around in my seat and asked him politely if he thought he could get any freaking closer. It must of got his attention because he gave me several hundred feet of clearance after that.:grinner:I'm a tiny little guy at about 280+lbs and 6' tall. Kinda ugly too.:smiler:

Take care.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the input everyone, yea when i slowed down i was flashing my brake lights like a mad man, knowing that i was going to be a sitting duck out in the lane like that. this guy never seen me one bit until he was probably 40 feet away. he was litteraly up on two wheels trying to avoid me. im going to go out to a local truck stop and look around, thanks for the link as well. Hammer

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

To answer hawkers question, no my brake lights must be standard issue. they only light up, but this thing will look like a times square christmas tree by the time im done:D

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

The "Back Off" unit is your best bet!

I put the "spinning LED's"and the "regular LED"on and took them off after 1 night, not near as bright as the OEM light! was a little upset with the "False Advertisement" of them being "Brighter" than "OEM" lights!

Go with the "Back Off" unit!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

is the back off unit anything complicated to hook up?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

real men dont read instructions lol, i just read them on the link provided:clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I home brewed an LED brake light from the brightest red LEDs I could find, Mounted them into a small box and mounted that to the back of the bike. Then I installed a brake light modulator just for the LED brake lights and left the stock brake lights as they were.

Other riders have told me that my flashing LED brake lights are far brighter and more noticeable than the standard brake light just below it. The flashing really gets their attention. It flashes for 5 seconds, then burns steady.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Must be the "Picture" cause the standard one below looks alot brighter! But the overall plan you put together is cool and works great I'm sure!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Must be the "Picture" cause the standard one below looks alot brighter! But the overall plan you put together is cool and works great I'm sure!:clapper:
Looks brighter, but it isn't according to my riding buddies. The flashing brake light really gets their attention.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks all, gave me some good options. dont want to go through that again, having my life flash before my eyes!!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

hammer wrote:
Thanks all, gave me some good options. dont want to go through that again, having my life flash before my eyes!!
Yep, better to have your brake lights flashing before their eyes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hammer wrote:
To answer hawkers question, no my brake lights must be standard issue. they only light up, but this thing will look like a times square christmas tree by the time im done:D
Go for the brakelight modulator, I have one and think it really helps. Nothing is going to help with the brain dead. I'm always watching my 6 when stopped on any road for any reason because there's too many anal vents out there that just don't pay more attention to operating their vehicles than they have to. Watch the idiots who wander from the fog line to the center line on the highway, many tend to run out in the shoulder when they turn right. I'm amazed at how many people don't control their vehicle on the road, they just kind of herd it from place to place. Personally I think a rear facing 12ga. might get their attention.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

i agree exavid. im probably one of the most cautious riders a person will ever meet. sometimes you are left in a postion where you are vulnerable as hell, the turn where i was at is notorious for bad accidents. that is why i was flashing my brake lights sitting still, still didnt make a difference. live and learn i reckon. i will have to post some pictures when i get my christmas tree done lol,, thanks all

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

. /forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif     I have a really loud horn(Fiamm) ,  all the standard Aspy stock lights, and the side markers converted to lights,  and a total  of 8 "Queen " lights across the back  bumper and around the liscense plate,  and  a JC whitney  $11 LED light bar across the top box,  a rear lit LED  strip across the back of my helmet , a   Back-Off modulator  on the top running  lights and on the  JC whitney bar(at eye level ) ... my stator is always complaining/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif !!!!!!.......                                                                ....... and you know what ? .... cagers still look right thru you, and try to cut around you, or in front of you .. its like  the machine is totally invisible ... so.. ...............I ride like they are trying to kill me... which I think some are.....                                                                                                                                   . ...................I once really leaned on this 130 db Fiamm   horn when some dingbat  driver was pulling out of her driveway , right into me... and she actually looked past me/forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif , down the road,  searching for, I guess,  the truck .. that I must have sounded like...  I swerved./forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif.. and I think I had to get new undies too that day... as I saw it in my  mind, at the time.. the rear saddlebag was about 2 inches in front of her  bumper, as I passed in front of her.                                                                                                             .... So ride like they want you to die... I now believe that extra lights do not really help...... SilverDave   /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.