Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Last May I bought an '80 Goldwing GL1100 as a doer-upper for this past winter. The "boss" said I was not to touch it until the '08 riding season was over. Last Nov I started work on it. It had been stored (left) in a garage for 18mo before I bought it ($950). I never got a chance to ride it.

The previous winter I had refurbed an '83 Yamaha Maxim 750 but never tried it on the road before I sold it. Before the guy picked it up I rode it around the block. Darn thing kept jumping out of 2nd gear. I had to split the cases & replace the gear set. OK after that & the guy was pleased.

I've been on tenterhooks all winter in case the GW had some major problem(s) I had not seen when I bought it. Worked on it all winter & today finally got to ride it around the block many times .

All is well. Gears shift nicely, brakes just fine, steers normally. I'm finally able to breathe a sigh of relief.

My brother is coming over from the UK in June & we are going to NH, VT & NY for a week. Me on my Burgman & him on the GW, so it has to be in great running order. Now it has to pass a mechanical inspection before I can plate it as it has been off the road for 3 years. The plate is $520 Grrrrr & the insurance maybe $160. If he had rented a bike it would have been close to $1000. He will pay for the plate.

So, I'll have 2 rides to choose from this summer

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

sounds like a job well done oldgoat:clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Sounds like your going to have a wonderful time riding. Document your trip and give us some pictures when this happens. :action:

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

oldgoat wrote:
The plate is $520 Grrrrr & the insurance maybe $160.
$520!!????!!??????? Holy hiway robbery Batman! I paid $20 for my 84 wing plate last year. I did have topay $250 for full coverage insurance (for a year) though.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

In Ontario you would pay about $1,000.00 to $1,300.00 for plate and insurance. The plate is only $50.00 I think. $520.00 for the plate is ridiculous. $160.00 is nice for insurance.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

We have "No Fault" insurance here where the province picks up the medical bills. This inflates the plate charges but means we pay less for our actual insurance as the insurance companies are not liable for as much as they would be in other provinces.

I'm pretty sure no province is as cheap ar a lot of the states seem to be.

I would have more bikes if the registration were not so high.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

well, you should post some pic's in the photo gallery & than give us a link to them so we can see your new project!:waving:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.