Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, my alternator has finally decided to give me some issues and I am evaluating replacing the entire alternator with a more powerful one. I have a few planned projects down the road that will benefit from the high output but as it sits right now, a stock (although working) alternator will do the job. Why would one buy this alternator for $367,-, when this one can be had for $171,-? Anybody with insight/experience on the subject?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Kim !

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I'd go with the CF every time if I could afford it. Otherwise I'd get the high output one and stock would be the last choice. Actually the 97-2000 stock would be last choice.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

I would go with the CF (I have one) if I could afford it.

I am not sure about the Ebay item, but you can also contact a local altenator repair shop and see about getting yours rewound/upgraded. It may be even cheaper than the Ebay one.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Go for the CF...I had to replace the standard GW alternator 3 times. The CF is a better (albeit more expensive) replacement...it provides at idle 14.4/5v. Much better unit..takes a little bit more to get it installed..but worth it. ALSO...replace the rubber buffers when you replace the alternator!!

BTW..your bike looks like mine..same color...mine is a 96'

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

A Compufire or a Ken Heming, they are the best options. Kens prices:

NEW High Output ALTERNATOR $315

RECONDITIONED ALTERNATOR $125

REBUILT ALTERNATOR $175

REBUILT High Output ALTERNATOR $250

GL 1800 ALTERNATOR $275 EXCHANGE

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for all good replies guys. I attempted to take the old one out and see if there was anything obvious. Found nothing and just cleaned up the little dust that was there. It now produces 12.3V at idle, 13.0V at 1500 and actually doesn't charge until I am at 3000RPM. Time for me to get a CP after all good advice from here.

Thanks again. I will post a "how to replace with CP" thread when I do it.

Kim !

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I have a brand new Compufire in the bike that I was given to do a test run when they heard I was doing a long distance cross country run in Aug, just returned Dec 1st. I had to delay leaving on my trip a couple days as they needed to assemble one and ship it down to me. They changed their electronics supplier and wanted a test out in the field. I have over 13,500 miles on it, it has preformed flawlessly. Steady 14.0-14.5 volt output. My old one that my friend had put in back in 2001 has preformed well, had them replace the seal before my trip, behind the fin drive as it was leaking like a Harley or a Limey!!!!!:sadguy:

I think they, Compufire, have a 5 year warranty on theirs, where that Fleebay one is 1 year.
CF is American made, check out the Fleebay, might be from China! Buy American!:july4thflag:

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Where does it say compufire is made in USA? This to me us a determining factor.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

They make them in Downey/Santa Anna CA

Internal parts, I'm not sure where they get them from

I just spoke with them, they use the Delco CS121 alternator and remove the pulley and put on the seal and flange along with the cable to hook up. Ian wasn't sure where the supplier for the Delco was from.
Great bunch of guys there, riders, albeit HD riders as they are Spyke Inc.
http://spykeinc.com/

http://www.compufire.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=3&Itemid=5

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I went with a HO Alternator about a year ago. It was one of the best upgrades I have done to my Wing. I can now power a small city.

After doing some research, I went with one of Ken Hemming's HO alternators. I really liked the personalized service. Ken spent a lot of time with me on the phone explaining the differences between alternators.

I have had no problems with the alternator I purchased.

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I prefer the gentler charging action of a stock alternator. The older ones are reliable if maintained. Never had problems keeping battery charged.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

jblack5 wrote:
Several of us are using this one (currently at $246.94):
http://www.emsglobaldirect.com/product.php?productid=430&cat=17&page=1

Be aware that a sealed battery is also needed.
This ems alternator looks pretty good to me. I know compufire has a longer history, but alternators are not exactly rocket science. Has the EMS been hard to install? Visually it looks slightly larger than stock. Any problems after installation? Any idea of the output at idle (90a is max at higher rpm)?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Its the electronics inside you have to worry about on any electrical piece. Save $100 at start, after warranty runs out and it goes south on ya-spend again to replace?

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

jblack5 wrote:
Several of us are using this one (currently at $246.94):
http://www.emsglobaldirect.com/product.php?productid=430&cat=17&page=1

Be aware that a sealed battery is also needed.
That is the one I went with. After extensive research I come to realize it is by far the best option out there. I was leaning towards the compufire but the EMS has better cooling and hence a better lifetime, add to it that it is rated for 95AMP and we have a winner. Trying to load a picture to compare the two but the site is giving me a hard time about it....:?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.