Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just about to change my fork oil and went to the main Honda dealer in N Ireland to get the Honda recommended oil - Pro Honda Susp Fluid SS-8. The store guy never heard of it and wasn't sure what to give me.

I eventually went to my local bike shop and he recommended Motul Fork Oil - Medium 10W. Anyone done their forks on the GL1800 recently and is this the right stuff to use? I am sticking in a set of progressive springs at the same time. I am not looking for race performance from the bike, simply a good safe front end suspension to improve performance a little.

Any info would be appreciated before I make a bollocks of it.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

In the older wings, alot of riders used "Dextron' auto tranny fluid. I am not sure about the 1800.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

As you seem to have found a product that will be satisfactory I think you are asking about the oil weight? In any event all light oils like that are about the same, I use 10 weight hydraulic oil in my backhoe, I cannot tell any difference between regular hydraulic oil and fork oil. Yes I go to the Honda shop and get fork oil, do not think there is any difference though.

If you are having trouble with the forks bottoming out, you might like to try 15 weight oil. It will provide a more firm feel. Not one I like but some do, suspension work with heavier oil and stronger springs, valves, all that kind of thing serve folks well that have more weight on the bike, or want a more firm feel under some road conditions.

I tried 15 weight oil once, made the front end act like a pogo stick, but I am not real large either(no insult intended) but that seems to be a very real and simple solution to a front suspension when more weight is a concern. Just a simple upgrade to a bit heavier oil ,will firm up the front suspension.

Kit

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Correct Kit I was looking for the oil weight as i wasn't sure if I should use 10W or 15W. I have since done a bit of research and 10W would appear to be fine with a new set of progressive springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.