Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I found this for sale today, 40,000 miles, needs tires & ??? Licence plates expired in May, nothing to identify the year, no answer on the phone. Asking $1500.00
What can you tell me about it ?? Thanks :waving:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

How does that Johnny Cash song go? "It was a '78, '79, '80 .... Goldwing 2-wheeled deal!"

The front turn signals are off a '78, the front fender is off an '80/'81 but the rest of it looks like a '79 (gauges, front master brake cylinder, etc). Set of Vetter lowers, looks to be the original seat (recovered). Aftermarket pipes in questionable shape on the left side (pricey to replace). Replaced spark plug wires which might indicate he had spark problems. The '78/'79s were known for bad spark. They used the same points that Honda used in their 500 twins those years.:shock: You could get electronic ignition for them that greatly helped. Rear shocks are not original.

There was a '79 for sale locally last year and when I started pricing out the parts to restore it made me jump and run in the other direction. But I sure miss my '78 some days. Looked and felt more like a motorcycle. Kinda like my Valk does now. :action:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Gofastandfalldown wrote:
... I don't recall the factory seat being stepped.
They weren't as drastically stepped as the 1500 & 1800 but the pillion definitely sat higher. Believe me, I heard the complaints about that feature. :happycouple:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

is there no year on the front of the frame.. year is there. the tube where bearings fit in to for steering. Between triple tree

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

'79 went with the squared/rectangular front brake master vs the '78s round one. It has the square turns in the back. I'd say '79 too.

That backrest is a funky-home job.

$1500 is too much IMO. Depends on how it runs and if it's road-readyI suppose though. You could buy something cheaper and end-up putting more than that in it just to get it going.

Carb kits, tires, fluids, electrical, ...it all adds up quick.

So $1500 might not be such a bad deal afterall if it's ready to ride, despite its mix of parts. At least somebody tried to keep up on it. Lot of 'em in rough shape out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.