Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1975 GL1000 with cracks and holes in the right header pipe near where it attaches to the muffler. I've been reading through several of the threads on this topic but I still have some questions.
1. Will the 1976-1979 headers fit on the 1975? I know that the 1977-1979 have chrome guards but will that matter?
2. I read something about checking for 'collapse' inside of the pipe but not sure what the issue is.
3. I've read that MAC headers 1976-1979 will fit on a 1975 but there is some issue. What is the issue for a 1975?
4. Has anyone tried to have a custom exhaust shop replace the cracked part of the header near the muffler with a new section of pipe? Is that an expensive process?

I've had the bike since 1980. I've ridden it through Germany, Austria, Italy, and Switzerland (Army days), in Hawaii (no long trips :)) and up and down the Pacific highway in California. Very fond of this bike and I would like to keep it as stock as possible.

Thanks in advance and feel free to offer any information on one or all of the questions above.

GL1975

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. A complete 1979 header and exhaust system would bolt on to a 1975 without modification? I've read some issues about center stand clearance. Would that apply here?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I believe as long as rhey are both 1000 they should fit BUT you may need all the bracketary from the 79.
You could check part numbers for the parts you are unsure of at cmsnl.com

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Thanks for your reply. A complete 1979 header and exhaust system would bolt on to a 1975 without modification? I've read some issues about center stand clearance. Would that apply here?
The mufflers are definitely different 78-79 than the earlier systems (3 piece , compared to 1 piece), think you'll have to stick with parts from 75-77..
The headers MIGHT be the same for all years, but unfortunately, all the parts fiches that are still out there seem to only go back as far as 1977 now, so I cannot confirm this. Perhaps you can get a good welding shop to fix your holey headers..(or JB weld 'em!)..or find usable used parts on EBay (I see used & new aftermarket headers claiming to fit 75-79, so maybe they are the same..?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mufflers are definitely different 78-79 than the earlier systems (3 piece , compared to 1 piece), think you'll have to stick with parts from 75-77..
The headers MIGHT be the same for all years, but unfortunately, all the parts fiches that are still out there seem to only go back as far as 1977 now, so I cannot confirm this. Perhaps you can get a good welding shop to fix your holey headers..(or JB weld 'em!)..or find usable used parts on EBay (I see used & new aftermarket headers claiming to fit 75-79, so maybe they are the same..?
I just saw a comment on another thread that said the header tips turn up on the 78-79 models. I believe I would have to try and mount the whole exhaust system as Bryanlj suggested.
I saw that JB weld has high temp epoxy specifically for exhaust system repair.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I just saw a comment on another thread that said the header tips turn up on the 78-79 models. I believe I would have to try and mount the whole exhaust system as Bryanlj suggested.
I saw that JB weld has high temp epoxy specifically for exhaust system repair.
here's a couple sites that still have the parts fiche up: hondaparts-direct.com (goes back to 1976) & servicehonda.com (goes back to 1977)..can't find any that go all the way back to 1975...looks like the headers were the same from 76-79, but 75 might be all by itself...perhaps there's a member out there that has printed out a hard copy of the 1975 parts fiche (like I did, but only for 78-79 models like I have)...& they can confirm the original parts #'s for your 75..
:geek:
good luck, keep that classic on the road!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I believe as long as rhey are both 1000 they should fit BUT you may need all the bracketary from the 79.
You could check part numbers for the parts you are unsure of at cmsnl.com
looking at that cmsnl.com parts fiche, looks like 75 model used #18320371000 for the right header pipe,
superceded to #18320371010 for 76 & 77 models...78-79 used # 18320431671...
so I would think any header pipe from 75-77 should work (if you reuse your stock muffler assembly)

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
I used some sections of pipe sourced at a local muffler shop to rebuild some for a buddy … it was a decent amount of work but it got him along until a time he found some good OEM ones on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found pictures of a collapsed header pipe. The thread said the inner liner of the header separates. It can cause poor running on the affected cylinder which would be hard to troubleshoot. My bike runs fine so I assume that part of the header is Ok.

Attachments

·
Village Whack Job...
7,902 Posts
OK I'm about to ruffle some feathers....but.... Contrary to what the manuals, the parts numbers and diagrams, and all the gurus will tell you ANY four cylinder Goldwing exhaust will bolt right onto the heads NO PROBLEM. the only trouble you MIGHT run into is the rear mounting brackets. I have personally put 1000 exhaust on an 1100 and vice versa. I have also seen with my own peepers set of 1100 exhaust on a 1200.

·
Registered
205 Posts
75-77 will work with same mounting points. 78-79’s outlet is upswept more. An interesting note is the 1200 pipes have a relief hole in the inner pipe right below the manifold. Approximately where the red dot is and a bit smaller diameter than the dot. This relieves steam build up between the inner and outer walls. Personal opinion: do it.
86D36B47-2D9D-43D2-B384-FBD58E48502C.jpeg

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
75-77 will work with same mounting points. 78-79’s outlet is upswept more. An interesting note is the 1200 pipes have a relief hole in the inner pipe right below the manifold. Approximately where the red dot is and a bit smaller diameter than the dot. This relieves steam build up between the inner and outer walls. Personal opinion: do it. View attachment 321704
75-77 will work with same mounting points. 78-79’s outlet is upswept more. An interesting note is the 1200 pipes have a relief hole in the inner pipe right below the manifold. Approximately where the red dot is and a bit smaller diameter than the dot. This relieves steam build up between the inner and outer walls. Personal opinion: do it. View attachment 321704
Interesting, an added relief hole internally...I may drill that hole next time I'm in there. But I'm still trying to understand how the header liner can "collapse" at all, when it's always under high pressure (vs. vacuum)...does this happen when coolant is leaked/burned into the exhaust? Does muffler back pressure (or lack thereof) cause this?
Please enlighten me, I've put 155K miles on my headers, neither seem to have suffered this malady, despite many miles of leaky heads burning coolant thru the pipes (although the mufflers definitely rust out from this!)

·
Registered
205 Posts
The theory is that moisture finds it’s way in between the two walls. When superheated, the h2o turns to a gas as steam and has to expand. That’s the best theory I’ve heard and the fact that the 12’s has the relief hole fits the narrative.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts