Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
When I let my third 1500 go , and was looking at 1800s, I wanted a 2006, or newer. I bought a 2006 with premium sound, heated seat, and hand grips. Frame issues were settled by then, it has larger capacity radiators, and a higher output alternator. Never comes close to overheating. I myself like the ride of the 1800 over the 1500s. The fuel injection is nice. After fighting the 1500 for the first spring ride, and anytime the bike sits for more than a few days. Much better starting qualities.
gumbyred

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,332 Posts
I have had a '94 and a 98, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the riding comfort, the carbs caused a bit of trouble if I let it set too long...
and with my wife's long terminal illness, upcoming, I knew that the 1500 would not work out for me long term.....

I let it go, and searched for an 1800, found an '02 that I really liked with a price that fit my wallet.....
and sure enough, it sat for 18 months while my wife was in the latter stages........

I would go out every few months and fire it off, let it idle for most of an hour so everything got hot....

and then later, when I was able to ride, it started immediately w/o any hiccups and off I went.
it is much more nimble than the 1500, and obviously has more power for feeling your oats.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hear you on the fuel injection. Takes a lot of the starting and riding issues out of the equation. I replaced an '08 1800 with an '85 Limited Edition for that very same reason, fuel injection - and other reasons as well. My 1500 is good, and since I ride it all year round, carbs are not really an issue; however, after some 178,000 Kms and 25 years the carbs do need a rebuild. I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but carbs work better when clean and well tuned.

So in keeping with the thread, 1800 (fuel injected) from 2006 on. Check into the maintenance on these. 3-4 hours to change the $25.00 air filter - ouch.

Flushing/changing the clutch fluid is more time consuming as well. Have to take off the lower front cowling, and other items to get at the clutch slave. The 1500 has the best clutch fluid change setup.

Taking the rear tire off is like taking the tire off a car, 12 inch 1/2 drive extension and 5 nuts - I used an impact wrench. Choice of laying the bike on its side - not a fan of this, or take off some rear plastic - better option in my opinion.

Changing the brake pads on an 1800 is extremely easy, do not have to remove calipers.

1800 systems are more complex - to be expected, definitely need a manual.

When I had my 1800, good looking in black, didn't turn too many heads. When I sold it and started riding my '85 Limited Edition, people would stop and comment on it, reminisce as well. Just did a paint job on my '95 1500 - Pearl Glacier White - lots of comments and looks. Not a big issue, but the older bikes seem to have a bit more character, like the older cars.

Cheers

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
851 Posts
I just did the rear pads, took out some aftermarket pads that were down to about 2 mm and put in the new OEM ones that were full thickness. I agree on ease in that it didn't take much removal of "stuff", but compressing the pistons while everything was still on the bike was not what I'd call easy, due to the whole "laying on the ground at an awkward angle" thing. Even taking some fluid out of the reservoir didn't help much, but in the end I got it done.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
2010...Last year they were made in the USA and the last model before the Gen II's

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I let my third 1500 go , and was looking at 1800s, I wanted a 2006, or newer. I bought a 2006 with premium sound, heated seat, and hand grips. Frame issues were settled by then, it has larger capacity radiators, and a higher output alternator. Never comes close to overheating. I myself like the ride of the 1800 over the 1500s. The fuel injection is nice. After fighting the 1500 for the first spring ride, and anytime the bike sits for more than a few days. Much better starting qualities.
gumbyred

I will admit that my ‘05 has had all of the Traxxion items they recommend put on and it DOES ride VERY GOOD. The best I’ve ever had on a big bike. That and Heli-bars to tighten up the steering and I get all day comfort. I would favor a used bike WITH upgrades over a stock one. Especially Traxxion.

·
Administrator
62,332 Posts
my '02 has the Traxxion springs, don't know if it was the 'full monte' or not, but it goes where the front wheel is pointed :)

no sloppiness, it also has the thick front fork brace, brand not known.

buying used has its' advantages when good upgrades are part of the deal, none of the upgrades were considered in the price of the bike when I bought it.

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
my '02 has the Traxxion springs, don't know if it was the 'full monte' or not, but it goes where the front wheel is pointed :)
It would have aluminum triple clamps if it had the full Monte.

·
1,870 Posts
It would have aluminum triple clamps if it had the full Monte.
Sorry Dave , - the full Monty dosnt include the triple tree , the mega Monty includes the triple tree .
I have the full Monty on my bike;) , - and i am wery happy with it ! ( i dont have any stocks in the compagny , but i am also happy with their customer service ).

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can’t find my pictures (the Internet has them, I’m sure of it :). ) of the stock ‘05 and the Traxxion triple tree’s side by side, but the difference is substantial. I’d redo it all again on another bike if I had to. It’s the only way for me to ride. If I ever afford the new one I‘d put in the Traxxion stuff again. Just a satisfied customer.

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
Sorry Dave , - the full Monty dosnt include the triple tree , the mega Monty includes the triple tree .
I have the full Monty on my bike;) , - and i am wery happy with it ! ( i dont have any stocks in the compagny , but i am also happy with their customer service ).
OK, my mistake. Didn't know there was a mega monte.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
The one disadvantage to the '06+ would be that to "just roll the rear tire out the back" after removing the rear fender, you also have to move or remove a sizeable stereo amp that was installed behind the rear tire. And, if you have a trailer hitch it has to be removed (although some have a removable center sectio). I just throw down some mats and lay'er down for a nap. Have less than a half tank of gas, pull the center stand out to pick the rear up another couple inches, and there you go. I have a spare (trike take-off) wheel that goes on while the main goes to Walmart to get a new run flat car tire mounted. Ten minute job for me. Several Youtube videos (including mine on Bartman's channel) showing it. Some say they couldn't see laying the bike on its side. You'd better know how to pick the fat girl back up! Butt on the seat, and use your legs. Highway pegs and such add-ons may need removal. Baker airwings can stay.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Administrator
62,332 Posts
I now lay mine over on a wood pallet, that gives me an extra 4 inches of ground clearance.

Then pulling the center stand down and putting a block under that lifts the tire way off the ground.

Less than 10 minutes, and the spare tire/wheel is mounted up and I'm gone.
Like others, I hoard rear wheels, have 3 of them now.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Transmissions are better in the 2014 and newer. Friend has a 2016 and says it shifts great.

2012-13 has every other dog cut down. Shifts smooth at 3k or higher. Below that you have to really have the proper
technique.
I think the stumble issue is better on 2014 and newer. My 2012 stumbled badly until ECM reflash.

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
Transmissions are better in the 2014 and newer. Friend has a 2016 and says it shifts great.

2012-13 has every other dog cut down. Shifts smooth at 3k or higher. Below that you have to really have the proper
technique.
Don't know what that means "every other dog cut down"& I do know how a transmission works BTW but my 2010 shifts great after I installed a short throw shift kit. The part #s in the trans are the same in all 2001-2017.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
That is what was said by a Goldwing transmission guru on another forum about the gear differences of varying years. He says they are not the same.

The part numbers could possibly could be superseded to the newest version?
I thought of getting one of those shift linkage kits for my '12.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't know what that means "every other dog cut down"& I do know how a transmission works BTW but my 2010 shifts great after I installed a short throw shift kit. The part #s in the trans are the same in all 2001-2017.
Every other engagement dog (nub) on the transmission gear is half as high as the tall ones. With poor shifting practices the tall ones wear (get rounded corners) and don’t stay engaged causing the ghost shifting. Once it starts, it’s hard to prevent further wear of the tall ‘dogs’. Honda changed it to all tall dogs to improve reliability.

·
Premium Member
1990 GL1500
4 Posts
I interested in hearing more opinions on the driver box airflow. I have been riding my 1990 GL1500 for 21 years now. I'm just putting it up for sale so I can upgrade to the 1800. When rolling at 80 mph I don't even think about the wind. It's like I'm in a little cocoon with maybe a little wind up my back. I'm 5'8", do you think the airflow change is a disappointment?

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Yes it is worse especially with OEM windshield. Wife IMMEDIATELY let me know the '12 sucked. Turbulance hitting her at shoulder area. Wings under the mirror helped that and then I bought an Optic Armor +4.
I installed the wings by my knees also.
Wife liked the seat a lot better on '12 than on the 88. Plus it is heated.

Reactions: mjenquin

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
That is what was said by a Goldwing transmission guru on another forum about the gear differences of varying years. He says they are not the same.

The part numbers could possibly could be superseded to the newest version?
I thought of getting one of those shift linkage kits for my '12.
It's possible they were superseded but normally both the old and new numbers are shown, not in this case.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts