Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1990 GL1500
4 Posts
Yes it is worse especially with OEM windshield. Wife IMMEDIATELY let me know the '12 sucked. Turbulance hitting her at shoulder area. Wings under the mirror helped that and then I bought an Optic Armor +4.
I installed the wings by my knees also.
Wife liked the seat a lot better on '12 than on the 88. Plus it is heated.
I put a taller windshield on my 1990 and everyone was much happier. That might work on the 1800

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that you should look for '06+ (personal preference for '06 - '10). With the '06, they got the frame fracture problem finally fully resolved, did a mild re-map on the engine, rearranged the dash, added rear speakers standard, and put in an 80 watt stereo amp. 2010 models were the last built in the USA (built in '09 because they sold off equipment early '10). There are no 2011 models. 2012s and up built in Japan and have different plastic.

For these years there are several levels, each building on the previous with slight year-to-year changes:
Premium Audio is the base model
Comfort adds heated grips and seat plus flaps to direct air from across the headers at your feet
Navigation adds a GPS (lots of argument as to its usefulness)
ABS adds, well - ABS (wish this was available as second level)
Airbag - some have claimed remarkable protection, primarily from head-on to a tree or T-boning a mini van.
When you say “For thes years” you are talking about the 013 and newer correct? I am also considering. GL 1800 or a Harley Ultra Glide. I have a GL1500 and thought I would try an HD, It’s great to see what year 1800s to possibly avoid.

·
Registered
1997 GL1500 FrankenWing,1994 GL1500 Aspencade,1999 Ultraclassic,1998 Softtail Special
94 Posts
You guys are a fountain of information that I really value. I've spent so much time on my GL1500, and truly spoiled and maybe you can imagine having the very most loaded top of the line Harley, Fuel injected, bla bla what a shocking disappointment in everything with the Harley.

Owners relate the GL1800 instant power and response, even though I my 1500 is really instant and fast. My only complaint is that my favorite color (Metal Flake Burgundy) 1994 SE CRUISE control won't allow me any setting above 71-72 mph. I just don't understand this. An awful lot of Texas is 75 mph and 80-85. This is a real bad thing for me and a huge disappointment. My 2000 SE I haven't ridden that much so I don't know if it too has a limited cruise.

Hope you guys know about this cruise thing AND if the GL1800 has a cruise control speed limitation?

Anyway, I'm hanging on your every word so I can search for that "Best" GL1800. Your help is invaluable to me and I am thankful for you all.
My 97 SE hold cruise at 85mph on our Montana interstates.... where the Ultraclassics I have had will not go over 75.... The BEST thing I like about the GL1500 cruise is that it is adjustable from the throttle... I can coax it down a little at a time by slight backward torque on the throttle.... while still staying engaged. I really like that !!!!

·
Registered
1997 GL1500 FrankenWing,1994 GL1500 Aspencade,1999 Ultraclassic,1998 Softtail Special
94 Posts
When you say “For thes years” you are talking about the 013 and newer correct? I am also considering. GL 1800 or a Harley Ultra Glide. I have a GL1500 and thought I would try an HD, It’s great to see what year 1800s to possibly avoid.
I have a 99 Ultraclassic for sale in NW Montana.... $5900.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts