Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Which wing do you ride? Old Poll 2007-Present

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 299 Posts

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

Interesting poll results so far. Almost level pegging between all of the Wing models. Only the 1000 is lower on %, probably because they are getting rarer.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Runnin a 78 GL1000 80k needs an oil leak fixed and an 82 Aspy with a goast in the wireing . It's cold and I've got the flu so not wrenchin this weekend . Should have both ready by spring .

·
Steve
439 Posts
imported post

The best lookin one. A 1200 of course!

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

I can't believe this post started four years ago and I'm just now getting round2it...

I've always had a soft-spot for the lines of the 1200's. But I still see a 15 in the future...

Then again; with over 32,000 members,I guess 390 votes might not be a reel good indication of our membership. What is that, like a 1/10th of 1% ??? :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

I bought my first Goldwing last year at age 35. At that time I probably could have bought any model I wanted. Still had a great job and credit with low debt. (Currently layed off. Oh how life changes.) I chose the 1200. I'll tell you why.

To me, and this is just my opinion, the 1800's look a little frilly. Please don't be offended 1800 owners. No disrespect intended here. I just couldn't think of a better word. Does anybody else out there agree? Especially the back end. The tail lights drive me nuts. Reminds me of a Corolla. And too much plastic. Everything is hidden and tucked under covers. I like to see motor hanging out.

I like the 1500's better than the 1800's, especially the reverse option the 12's don't have. They are definitely sleek, but that's not exactly what I wanted.

The 1200 looks a little more brutish and square. Some might say primitive. But its what I like. Combined with the great pricing on a 12 I jumped in there. I barely dipped into any savings for it and no financing required. And I'm glad I did it that way because I have lost my job but I get to keep my motorcycle.

I also think the 84-87 model years is where the real dominance for the Wing took hold to never let go. I know the 1000 and 1100 are sweet bikes, but in my opinion the 1200 cemented the Wings claws into our culture for good. Without a good follow up bike after the 1100 the Wing could have took a wrong turn.

So for me, combine the history, the price, the look and of course the longevity and I come up with 1200.

However, opinion subject to change at any given moment

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

Hey, I just thought of something. Consider that the 1200 was only produced from 84 to 87. I don't know how many units total but I can't believe it would be anywhere close to the long production run totals of the 1500 and now the 1800.

Seems to be alot of 1200's runnin around here despite its short production run relative to the 1500 and 1800.

I wonder if anyone has data on total units produced Vs. model years of production? I wouldn't mind seeing it compared like that.

But you know what? Give me one of each. How can you go wrong with any Wing?!

I'll tell ya' what else, I always loved thoseearly Nakeds. The bike too

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Hey guys, does a reverse trike count as a trike? Y'know, it might be backwards, but it's still got three wheels.

I guess no different than a bike with a side car. I don't know, do we consider that a trike or bike and side car?

Whatever, it's a 1200 motercycle, and I love it!

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Hello folks...
I have a question on a '77 gold wing
I bought one in Texas for 300. It has been sitting for over 10 years in a garage..the muffler is corroded away..the owner said it ran when he parked it. My questions are this..would it have hurted the motor. tranny and radiator for it being in the garage all that time..is it restorable?..thank you.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

I think that this is sad. We have nearly 36,000 members and only have 419 repond to this question. But then again there is an awful lot of members in the members list that join but never post. I couldn't believe that when I decided one day after reading all the post this winter & pulled up the members list & started @ "A" and got to "E" before I gave up. Next time I have some time, I am going to count these "loyal" members. I would be willing to bet that not one of these people have not donated to this beautiful & fine site that Steve has given us. I donate @ leats twice a year because a site of this size & importance is too inportant for Steve to have to front all the costs on his own. Sorry folk fo my rant. I also am aware that most everybody here are everybit as devoted to this site as I am.:sadguy::bow::bow::byebye::byebye::byebye::action::action::action:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Not everyone joins forums to post Angela, thats the way it is on all forums. I respect them all, lurkers and posters. Having said that, we seem to get an awful lot of new posts every day here. Enough of us appreciate it enough to donate something every year.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Both 1100 and 1200

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
imported post

My 1200 isn't running right now (suspect a fuel delivery problem). Will be giving it to our oldest son when we get it running again.
The 1500 is our favorite. Smooth ride, plenty of power, and the passenger seat is comfy enough that my wife can ride for hours without a break (couldn't do that on the kawi I traded in for the 1500).

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

on friday the 20th i became the proud owner of a 1999 valkyrie tourer. my son will be riding the LTD. :action:it had 25,000miles on it before sam and i took a short 500 mile ride from apple valley to laguna beach to santa monica pier then back home. it feels great to be back in the saddle

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I've never posted on this thread either for some unknownreason, but I had voted some time ago. When this thread got started I was riding an '86 Aspencade but moved up to a 2000 GL1500SE.

John

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

1800!:action::action::action:

161 - 180 of 299 Posts