Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A young woman and her baby broke my bike, starting from the back all the way to the front, while I was sitting, minding my own business, at a red light! With me on it!!

Looks like my GL 1800 is not fixable. I can get a new 2010 or 2012. Which one would you buy? If you are on the winning side you get a free ride! So tell me which one you like best and why! Thanks and looking forward to all the rides!

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

Which one appeals to you the most? I wouldn't think the value 5 years down the road would be that much different.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if i had the the dritthers -- i would go with the 2012. just because.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

i would get a 2010 cause they weigh less than a 2012 and none of that ugly black on the saddlebags and rear fender

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I would look at many things. Price being one of them.
If you can still find a brand new 2010 for a good lower price with all the options and features you want I think I would be as happy with that myself.

A new vehicle looses allot of value soon as it is titled and is a used vehicle in 10 feet LOL

Also though not a big deal, the 2010 I think was still made in America, 2012 is not. That may play a small part in resale value in future.

For the 2010, hopefully all the bugs have been worked out, and any recalls already done. It may be ready to ride and enjoy. I think there have been a few people with minor problems with the 2012 like stereo or something.

It all boils down to what you like the best and how much you can or want to spend and the deals you can find.

Don't forget see if you can keep your wrecked bike for a few bucks. Would be good for parts for your new bike perhaps, or part it out, or if you don't want to mess with it pass it on to a forum member as a good deal.
Even if it's busted up, if it runs still someone could build a trike maybe, 2 wheels in front or 2 in rear, or a cool little 3 wheel car.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

I agree with chromo on this one. I did some looking around here while back and the 2010 is still made in the good ole usa and the 2012 is back overseas. That is also why there is not a 2011 model because of them moving all the tool and dies back overseas. In my line of work i have found out the first 1 to 2 years of new models will have some bugs to be worked out, I am not saying the 2012 has bugs in that model, Honda does a pretty good job at testing things out before it is released. That is why i wanted a Goldwing and not a fix and ride once a month bike

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

I would get the 2012. It is not heavier than the 2010 and I like the upgrade in electronics and the better ride because of the new suspension. Oh wait a minute.........I have one! ;)

I do not regret getting the 2012 and I have owned a 2002 and 2008 GL-1800 just sayin'..........

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

I bought a new 2010 back in June, they had a 2012 sitting right beside it.

$3000 less and the 12 wasn't a nav model or yellow, personal preference I guess.

you will love either one IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

2010 is the last year of the US buildt Wings, the value down the road will more than likely be higher than the 2012. However, buy the one that you like better, bikes are not all about value in $$$. I personally like the 1500 better and searched long and hard to find a low miles, MY 2000 before I bought. My payments was the same as a new 1800 and if you add the bling I put on I am way over what a new one cost. Get the one you like better, add your personal touch to it, and go ride it !

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,151 Posts
imported post

I would get a 2012 simply because you can.

Where it is made will have absolutely no effect on its' value 100 feet down the road, or 10 years down the road.

I would prefer the upgraded suspension system and the newer electronics package. And ABS by all means.

If there is ever a time for me to buy a new bike, it will have ABS.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I would go with the 2012 just because it's newer styling. I don't think there's much appreciably better, but some people equate such styling changes as a new model and will pay more down the road for it; i.e. preferring it over the "older styling". Me personally, the 2012 isn't a significant change. I'd need to see an auto transmission (or CVT) and electric windshield to convince me that there's a difference worth paying extra or upgrading to.

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

After seeing a 2010 and 2012 parked side by side I personally like the 2010 better. The styling of the 2010 looks better and the way that the 2012 is painted is a turn off to me. It seems that when they were deciding on the styling cues, they took some of them from Harley and the paint from BMW. Don't get me wrong if I was given a 2012 I wouldn't throw rocks at it but personally I like the looks and the feel of the 2010's better.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

As much as you can appreciate everyone's opinion here, it's your butt that going on the seat of that bike so it's what you actually prefer........ unless your buying it for me...... which I doubt.... but on the side chance, I would get the 2010 model....... I just like the looks of the 2010 versus the style of the 2012........ Just reminds me to much of a BMW, not that they are bad, but Im not buying a BMW.....

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I'm with you guys on the 2010 looking better (than the new 2012 styling), but I wonder (speaking for myself only of course) whether it's resistance to change. I notice with myself, that often when a new vehicle comes out with edgy styling, at first I'm a little put off by it, and sometimes get used to it and then gradually grow to prefer it. Maybe the 2012 will be like that? Is it's styling really turning a lot of people off? Wish one fell in my lap!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Had the same choice to make a few months ago....Went with the 2010. Didnt buy as an investment. Keepin' this one!
American made. Classic lines, (dont care for the angular look of the '12) Radio placement on top of tank. $3500 difference. Didnt like the new quasi BMW paint or fairing badges. Is the new Nav screen smaller, or just the new dash makes it appear that way???
Plus: "I WANTED YELLA !!!!"

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,151 Posts
imported post

i can well remember the years that Ford and Chevy both changed up their models so drastically in a single model change.

I said then that "no way in hell" would I buy one of those ugly things.

hmmmmm, now I don't think there is anything wrong with either of them.... and I kind of like the latest style of the Chevy trucks the best.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

I'd buy the most expensive one the insurance company is willing to pay for............

:applause:

T.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

The headlights suck on the 2012.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.