Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to install one of the Stator Wiring Harnesses into my wing to see if it helps out with my low voltages, backfiring through the carbs and other asorted minor problems.

Which one is the best? The Electrical Connection one or the David Campbell one? In your opinion, why is it the best over the other one?

I am planning on ordering one today some time so I would like to hear from everyone with your opinions for the best unit.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

csanders67217 wrote:
I am going to install one of the Stator Wiring Harnesses into my wing to see if it helps out with my low voltages, backfiring through the carbs and other asorted minor problems.

Which one is the best? The Electrical Connection one or the David Campbell one? In your opinion, why is it the best over the other one?

I am planning on ordering one today some time so I would like to hear from everyone with your opinions for the best unit.
Here's one website providing harnesses. Take a look:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns_gl1200_charge.htm

http://www.berrysweb.com/motorcycle.htm

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

From things that I have read, I believe that the Electrical Connection harness appears to be the best. Both companies claim that theirs is the best and the other is junk but in looking at it and from reading posts on other forums and this forum, I believe that the E.C. one is the best choice.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I have an EC harness.. It is well made, and carefully constructed/forums/images/emoticons/smile.gif.. But the best part is that the EC people will give you on line, or phone help, as you install it...worth the extra cost, to me....      Its been in for 3 years with no problem./forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif..    My only complaint is that the 40 amp fuse holder is not waterproof./forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif. but .. apparently you cannot get large capacity waterproof ones that measure up to the rest of the harness's well made standard.. so.. water will not easily get to  the fuse holder, unless you ride without  a side cover .. SilverDave./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/leprechaun.gif

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

I installed the EC harness. Have been very happy with the results. Bike charges better,and runs alittle better. The harness is well made, just make sure you have a good 100watt solder iron for those big wires. I used the recommended heat shrink tubing over the solder joints, and have had no problems to date. Can't really comment on the Campbell harness.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks to all. :clapper: I am ordering the E.C. harness.

The way I see it, if a company is going to give excellent customer service, their product will be a good buy no matter what the cost.

I am dealing with refrigerator (SAMSUNG)problems right now and for a company this large, they have terrible customer service. I have owned the fridge for 2 years and 4 months and have had to make 5 different service calls so far. Obviously there is something wrong with the fridge but Samsung claims that there is nothing they can do or will go because I am outside my 1 year warranty.

I cannot stand poor customer service.:2finger:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

csanders67217 wrote:

csanders67217, personally I don't see that you need either harness. A few pieces of wire, a sealed fuse holder& a soldering gun & you should be able to get all the power you need to the battery & fuse box..

I don't have anything but added direct wiring from stator to regulator, & a 10 ga. wire from regulator to 30 amp sealed fuse, with a direct connection to the battery I get 15 volts at speed with a low of 13 volts with the cooling fan on at idle. My coils are still factory wired & I have 14.5V there at high RPM's

My biggest complaint was lower voltage to the headlight & I don't think either the EC or Campbell harness address that.

I'm not real sure on this but I believe the EC harness powers the coils ALL the time (even with ign switch off). While that is probably not a real big deal it does allow a slight power flow in that system in damp weather so could be a corrosion initiator in damp weather sitting conditions.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hey Twisty, reading the literature on the EC harness, it does not power the coils all the time. The DC harness does but the EC harness does not power the coils with the ignition turned off.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

csanders67217 wrote:
Hey Twisty, reading the literature on the EC harness, it does not power the coils all the time. The DC harness does but the EC harness does not power the coils with the ignition turned off.
Attention to small details like that would sway me to the EC kit. :cooler:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

Hey csanders,

I put a DCampbell wiring harness on my Wing about 6 months ago and found it to be well made andthe Wing has never run better. I was amazed athow muchdifference it made. All the connections are crimped and soldered and you get a pure shot of voltage from the battery to the coils with no connectors, relays or switches to adulterate the voltage. As far as a current drain to the coil's when the engine's not running, it's infinitesimal. I have never had a problem with a run down battery. Your probably leaking more current at a bad connector somewherein your electrical system.

That said, let me tell you about his customer service policy. It's seems to be, "don't call me, EVER"! The guy has his own agenda and has pissed off alot of people. Both here and out in the real world. He used to be a GURU here but just kinda disappeared one day. It was real strange.

Either way, DC or EC,I don't think you'll go wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

That seems to be the one thing about the DC that I don't like, his customer service. I have read several bad things about it and that has pushed me toward the EC harness.

Good customer service goes a long way with me.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
imported post

Twisty- You wrote "I don't have anything but added direct wiring from stator to regulator, & a 10 ga. wire from regulator to 30 amp sealed fuse, with a direct connection to the battery "

Which wire on the regulator do you tie into?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Randy Peterson wrote:
Twisty- You wrote "I don't have anything but added direct wiring from stator to regulator, & a 10 ga. wire from regulator to 30 amp sealed fuse, with a direct connection to the battery "

Which wire on the regulator do you tie into?
Randy, the Red/white.. That is the same wire that goes from the regulator to the 30 amp fuse on the starter relay.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I have the DC harness on my wing, and am quite happy with it. It was easy to install, and straightforward. Only gripe? The wires could have been made a few inches longer, as it was a bit of a tight fit.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I just received my EC harness today and will be installing it this weekend. I will post back once it is installed with the results.

ccsailor, I have the instruction sheet. I will scan it and send it to you.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Thnks look forward to seing how it goes. Why did you go this route?

I am getting 15.1 VDC after doing the solder 3 yellows etc

Neil

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.