Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i forgot to put a subject on thelast one so i thought ill just do another one. my mechanic called me from rarden and told me i got my choice on tires for my wing. he said dunlops, elite 3s, or battleaxxes(BRIDGESTONES), OR MICHILINS. ive had bad luck with dunlops (cupping and wobble). everyone here seems to like bridgestones, but what about michilins?...help me guys!.....barring the car tire, which one is best?......rick

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Rick,

Asking about tires here is like asking about how you take your coffee and what are the benefits. You'll get a lot of different answers because everyone rides differently. I can't tell you what is the best tire for your bike but I can tell you about my experiences.

First set of tires were the Dunlop Elite II that came on the bike. Replaced the rear tire at <1000 miles for a nail. Not the manufactures fault, it was mine. Ran the next E II on the rear for just over 5000 miles where it was cupped so bad it caused the bike to shake at low speeds. Decided to switch brands

Second set of tires were Metzler ME880's. They wobbled from the very beginning. I thought it was the bearings in the forks so I had a set of All Balls put in. It helped but didn't stop the wobble. Asked another shop to check out the tire installation and they found nothing wrong, well balanced & properly inflated. Put about 3000 on them and gave up.

Third set of tires I switched to Avon Venoms. Wow what a difference. Great grip on the road and very smooth. Ran those for almost 8000 miles but when I was coming back from a 3000+ mile road trip I noticed a wobble start in the bike. I assumed it was wear/cupping starting but a cursory check of the tread look good. Rode the bike for another 500 miles and stopped for lunch about 65 miles from home. Almost had to clean out my underwear when I spotted the bulge on the side of the tire. It felt like sponge rubber.

I had another Avon Venom installed and rode it for about 1800 miles when I picked up a screw. I was on Business in San Francisco and needed the tire changed right away. The only thing the Bike Shop had in stock that fit was a set of Dunlop Elite III's. I had them put on and so far they have been great. I do run the rear tire at 46lbs and the front at 41 now because most of the time the wife and I ride together. So far over 5000+ miles and no problems to speak of.

Summary (personal feelings here) -

Dunlop Elite II's --- Trash dont bother
Metzler ME 880's -- ditto (only 1 set so take it with a grain of salt)
Avon's Venoms -- Great tire just watch for any bulges!!
Dunlop Elite III's --- So far so Good.

Hanko

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well guys it is a 1800 we are talking about . Michelin does not make a radial tire to fit the 1800. It is possible to install the front Pilot GT on the 1800 and it does wear well and fits fine, but does provide a harsh ride.

As far as I know Michelin does not make a tire for the 1800.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

What Kit said and I would not go for the Metz - my experience on wet roads has dampened my appreciation considerably.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

My 07 came with a set of Stones; 709 radial on the front and 704 on the rear.

Upon tire change out this spring I was going to Stone it again, as I am that satisfied with them.

However after reading about Kits Darker Side with the Kumho CT, I have a changed my thinking.

Today I put about 45 miles on the Kumho and it performs very well so far. Still have the original Stone 709 on the front with almost 20,000. This will be changed out next month with another Stone 709. Kit, I think you have a winner here. I have 30 psi in the rear now and will try 35 tomorrow to see what the change is like.

Thanks

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I have tried Dunlops,Metzlers,Avon Venoms,Now have Avon cobras,They have 5,000 miles on them and so far they are great and wearing well......Keeping fingers crossed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yep it is a winner for sure. You can try higher pressure, it seems most like 32 pounds when cold. Gives a bit lighter and balanced feel.

Kit

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

i've run Dunlops, Bridgestones and Metzlers

they all worked and if the price is rite i would be happy to ride on any of them

best all around tire for me has been Metzler, higher miles than the others and very predictable grip

best handling tire has been Bridgestone

nothing really wrong with the Dunlops but i just seem to usually choose Metzlers

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

I've run Dunlap's on all my bikes but I'm thinking of running Michelin's next tine because of the tread design ( for rain )

Hickey

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
I loved the way the Venoms felt on the road, just be careful to check them if you feel any wobble from them.
Good Photo.

I research tires all the time. It is one of my favorite things about motorcycles. I like to learn, and within reason will try different things.

One thing to be aware of with the heavy Wings. Most of the time two up and or pulling a trailer they are simply overloaded. It is stated in the manuals that the load limit for the Wing is around 400 pounds. As are most other touring bikes, including the Yamaha Venture and the Ultra. 400 pounds seems to be the design criteria for these type bikes.

So quite simply as the Wing is used by middle aged , older, chubby , and overweight people who push the load capacity to the limit, just by climbing on the bike, let alone having the bags full of junk and a trailer hooked up too, weight consideration is a great factor in some of the serious accidents that do happen when a motorcycle rear tire blows out or experiences some sort of rapid deflation. I mean no disrespect about chubby folks, just a real world way to say it, lots of folks are overweight, and two up it does put the bikes at the maximum load range. I also over the years have gained a bit, I used to be 185 pounds and in great shape, I am now 200 pounds and all that extra pounds is in my stomach:D.

Tires have not really been designed for the heavy loads, they are sport bike tires , beefed up a bit and used a touring tires. Manufacturers try to hit the middle ground, they consider all things, from weight, to the ride quality, and true, a heavy tire does cut down on the ride quality, but hey this is not a luxury car, it is a motorcycle.

So from time to time the weight of the bikes , combined with human error in the construction of a tire, creates defects, and these defects can be life threatening.

The reason I say it is the weight, is quite simply because a properly inflated and inspected front tire almost never has a defect, as a matter of fact they sometimes run for 18 to 20 thousand miles with not one problem, simply because there is less weight up front. So a problem with a front tire is extremely rare.

I went to a meet and eat yesterday, it was a group of folks I have never met before and all were from North and South Carolina. What I found quite interesting is half the serious riders all are running a Car Tire on the rear.

It is catching on, more than one might realize, the rear CT (Run Flat) gives good service and provides peace of mind from rapid deflation, and or road hazards. Also with the somewhat recent use of the Run Flats made for high performance sport cars, with the great profiles and tread designs , the use of the CT has and is becoming it seems a very real thing.

The work , they are safe, and the two I use the Kumho and the Dunnie have the least negative aspects with them if you wish to call a bit of tail kick negative. With the Dunnie I have almost none. All I have is this great big smile and peace of mind, I am no longer concerned about a blown tire.

One of the reasons these tires work so well on the 1800 other than the design of the bike that fits the use, is quite simply the roads most of us run on. Many of us run the interstates to get from point A to point B, there is not time for a day ride or weekend ride to run and enjoy the back roads, most of us would rather do this, but just not time.
Most of our roads are in good repair, and flat and long and easy turns, not to say a Run flat will not perform in the twisties, it will and I can run away from you on your motorcycle tire, I do have to watch the front tire only as I have such exteme traction it is possible to wash out the front .

But mainly our roads are flat, level and have easy gentle sweepers.

We are older, we are safety aware, we are not road racers and do not care to be, the goal is to get out and go and enjoy the day, and to stay safe. That is why they work and are becoming quite popular.

Take Care

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
imported post

My 2¢....

My 1500 came with Dunlop Elite II's . Front and back were cupped badly after less than 10,000 miles.

I replaced them with Dunlop Elite III's and they are performing flawlessly. No more wobble and stuttering in corners. The only drawback is that they whine a bit...aka...road noise.

I havenearly 12,000 miles on them and they both still look new.

Followed Rudy's advice with 41psi front - 43psi in back.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

hey thanks guys. you all gave me quick and good advice, especially kit, as usual. (special thanks to kit)..i think i will go with the stones for this change, since kit said michelin doesnt make a tire for the 1800. id really like to try the michelins, but cant do what you cant do. there were more stone votes than anything else. the pros know! thanks again guys. :cool::waving::bat: rick

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

What are the Canadian guys wearing on their wheels and most importantly what are your tire pressures?

I'm about 215 lbs.
I have the Michelin on the front and a Dunlop on the rear. The Michelin has given me the willies on more than one occasion and in the wet it has been scary, 41psi is way too high, 35 is my latest. The rear is a Dunlop run at 43, no worries there and hasn't reached the cupping stage yet.

It's strange to be able to differentiate the slip and grip between the two tires on the same machine.
Wingle

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Kit you are right in that most of us riding wings are older and getting a bit on the heavy side. I'm 6'4 and weigh in at 265. My wife is 5'10 and comes in just below 200. With just the 2 of us we are already 65lbs over the limit for a wing. Now add on my trailer and the stuff in the bags and the tire you see in the picture above is the result.

As soon as this set of Elite III's wear out I will probably go to a CT.

Henry

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hey there Wingle, this Canadian runs Elll's at max pressure F/R - 2 up pulling a trailer most of the time, 30,000 km & still going, have the next set waiting in the basement. :waving::action::action:

Wingle wrote:
What are the Canadian guys wearing on their wheels and most importantly what are your tire pressures?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Hey there Wingle, this Canadian runs Elll's at max pressure F/R - 2 up pulling a trailer most of the time, 30,000 km & still going, have the next set waiting in the basement. :waving::action::action:

Wingle wrote:
WOW! That's good news. I just put a E3 on the rear of my 82 Interstate. The Dunlop 404 that was new on my bike when I bought it didn't last 5,000 Miles under those conditions. If I get 10,000 out of the E3 without trouble I'll be very happy.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

hey guys, i listened to the message that the rarden mechanic left me again, and he didnt say michelins, he said metzlers. so that was my bad, my mistake. michelins do not make a tire for the 1800. wow, thats dumb on their part. so i called him today and told him to get me a set of top of the line stones. he said okay!......so my appointment is the first thursday in april. should be warmed up a little by then! hope hope! and ill get to watch that liquid gold run out of the oil drain too......lol.........rick

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I am glad you decided to use round tires. They have always seemed to work the best for me. :D:shock::leprechaun::leprechaun::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil: Kit

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.