Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm a newby to owning a Wing and wondered what tyre is thought to be best for more mileage between changes. I had a Valk for years and usually ran on Avons and changed the back about 8k to 10kbut I have read on this site about Avons splitting on Wings and wondered if the extra weight on the back is making a difference? I currently have a Dunlop K177 on the rear which seems to handle well but I think it will be due for a new one in a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

There will be many opinions on this.

I quite like the K177 but slightly newer tyre are the Elite III from dunlop at about the same price.

I currently have K177 on front and E3 on back.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Go Darkside for rear tyre, Federal or Dunlop winter sport, Stone on the front.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

If you are going for long tire life then a car tire is probably the way to go. However, I have been having good luck with running the Avon Venoms on my previous bikes and now on this 1500 also.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

Put a pair of Elite 3 Dunlops on in July.Done about 3500 two up and fully loade so far,very pleased.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,705 Posts
imported post

Only thing I have used is the Dunlop tires.
K177 on the '94SE and now E3's on the 98SE.

I have been totally satisfied with both of them, although the K177s seemed to cup a mite early? Hard to say, they were on the bike when I got it.

The E3's have 4500 miles and look like new.
If you are sensitive to the "whine" they produce, you might want to look elsewhere. Doesn't bother me.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

:popcorn:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The e3s cup and whine!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

I get at least 20,000 miles on a set of E3's. Can't complain about that.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

All tires are eventually going to cup and whine as they wear out. I have good luck with the Dunlop E-Es though.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

I will disagree with Tom Bihop on this one. Not all tyres cup and whine as the wear. I have been using Avons for the last 10 years and have not had one cup or whine on me yet. I do change them out when they get to the wear inidicators though.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

It should come as no surprise that more then a few don't like there tires chosen for them by big deals made between manufacturers. Once the bike needs a tire change many will opt out of the stock tire.....even more so if they experience some sort of undesirable effect from the stock tire.

An open mind and sound advice from riders who really ride or those who don't ride as much to match your situation.....as well as those who ride in similar temperatures.....and those who ride similar styles seems the best way to go. IMHO

Also....I read allot about brand new tires of all types being defective. Best to get lots of info before judgment. My vote would be outside of the stock tire for the reasons mentioned previously.

RED

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.