Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi i'm an active lurker but first time poster. I am looking at Gl 1200's but not sure if I should go with a fuel injected LTD or SEI or go with the simpler interstate or aspencade? Another questiuonon pricing are people paying close to nada book on 1200's? I am probibly going ot go look at this bike but it seems way over priced IMO

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/1013829521.html

Thanks for the advice

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

being of the older mind set (? ) and the fact that fuel injected engines of the older years had there problems with replacement parts being found . i`d go with carbs . just cause there are more of them around for parts when needed . but ---thats just me and my 2 cents worth .

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
being of the older mind set (? ) and the fact that fuel injected engines of the older years had there problems with replacement parts being found . i`d go with carbs . just cause there are more of them around for parts when needed . but ---thats just me and my 2 cents worth .
My 2 cents will go with Waynes, get a carb model, 87 if possible. 4000 is too much for my pocket, more like 3200 if I bought it in order to off-set the problems later on with the fuel injection.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,178 Posts
imported post

I'm of a different mind set on that one.

If I buy another 1200, it will definitely be one with fuel injection. Historically they don't give much trouble.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey AZgl1500 :waving:Dont forget to tell him about the fastest colour :18red:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

I have really enjoyed many miles on my Sei without a single problem. Price might be a little high but it probably has many more left in her.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

The models prior to 88 have problems with the stators and if you cannot work on it yourself stayaway from the older than 88 models. The options for repairinga bad stator are pretty involved or expensive. JMO

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yeah I'm well aware of the stator problem, and would go the poor boy route within the first few months

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

That 86 looks pretty nice Chris I would go see the bike, take it for a ride, see how she runs and if you really like her offer him 3500 his add says Or Best Offer.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey AZgl1500 :waving:Dont forget to tell him about the fastest colour :18red:
On the GL1200 it's GOLD, with BROWN accent panel's!!!:coollep::coollep::coollep:

That said,, I've owned my Ltd Ed since '04 and not had a minute's problem with the fuel injection.

She'd set for about 7 year's and I had to change the fuel tank and also in '06 the regulator went south, but other than that, no problems!! Good luck with your choice!!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Chris, from another Puget Sounder. :)

As for NADA prices, usually around here the 1200's are selling above the blue book prices, in the Summer. Winter?? This particular bike has been on CL for a long time. I think he started advertising it around Sept or Oct. I haven't looked at it, but wonder why it's been for sale for so long. :baffled: The price is not bad for an SEI in good condition.

I've got a very nice '86 Aspy that will be on the market in the Spring, but it will sell for more. The list of upgrades and maintenance doneis long. I'm waiting till Spring for the higher sales prices but would sell anytime to the right buyer. PM me if you're interested in more info.

John

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

For $4000 it should be pristine, with good rubber. Check it out carefully, and offer $3500 and be prepared to walk away.

BTW, I could part with my 87, (shown in my avatar). I want to get a Valkyrie this summer, so if you don't find one soon, let's talk.

Marty

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

[align=center]Hey chris91182 :waving:I have a very nice clean Honda 50 in the fastest colour :clapper:I may as well get my for salespoke in also :D[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
[align=center]Hey chris91182 :waving:I have a very nice clean Honda 50 in the fastest colour :clapper:I may as well get my for salespoke in also :D[/align]
Will you cover shipping. ;)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:

As for NADA prices, usually around here the 1200's are selling above the blue book prices, in the Summer. Winter?? This particular bike has been on CL for a long time. I think he started advertising it around Sept or Oct. I haven't looked at it, but wonder why it's been for sale for so long. :baffled: The price is not bad for an SEI in good condition.

I've got a very nice '86 Aspy that will be on the market in the Spring, but it will sell for more. The list of upgrades and maintenance doneis long. I'm waiting till Spring for the higher sales prices but would sell anytime to the right buyer. PM me if you're interested in more info.

John
Thanks John, I saw some of the expired ads for this bike too on my craigslist searches. I will give him a call today and hopefully see it, being as its been on so long, its winter and the Seattle economy sucks right now I might offer 3k. I am also not afraid to travel a little way to pick up a bike as long as its snow free and semi warm.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

chris91182 wrote:
Thanks John, I saw some of the expired ads for this bike too on my craigslist searches. I will give him a call today and hopefully see it, being as its been on so long, its winter and the Seattle economy sucks right now I might offer 3k. I am also not afraid to travel a little way to pick up a bike as long as its snow free and semi warm.
NP. Take a volt meter with you and check the stator. If it's weak or bad it would be a great bargaining chip. If the 3 yellow wire fix has already been done, you will only be able to get a voltage reading at the battery, but that could be enough. If the plug is still there, you can do an ohm meter check too. If you don't know how to do this, you can do a search in the tech forum or here's one thread where Twisty gives the procedure.
Electrical Problem
If you haven't already read it, check out the buying guide at the front of this website too. There's some helpful info there.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1200.htm

John

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Around here 1200s are going for $2500 and 1500s are $4000 to $6000. Darn, $4000 for a 1200 is dreaming in my book.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

morram wrote:
Around here 1200s are going for $2500 and 1500s are $4000 to $6000. Darn, $4000 for a 1200 is dreaming in my book.
They're always cheaper down in Southern CA. Not sure why, but they are.

John

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

chris91182 wrote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:

John
[align=center]
I dont know either of you cowboys personally :coollep:[/align]
[align=center]My advice to you chris91182 try and do a deal with Jluvs2dive [/align]
[align=center]The devil you know is much better than the devil you dont :coollep:[/align]
[align=center]You can be sure that he will not bamboozle you :clapper:If it cost you $1000 more for his :12red:it would be money very well spent :clapper:[/align]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.