Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all! I am new to the forum and am seeking your advise on the selection of a bike for my wife and I.

The facts we know:

1. I am a fairly large man (little over 300)
2. Will be riding 2up with my wife
3. Have a budget of 3-4K

So, right now i am looking at some mid 80's model wings. Please give me any and all advice as to maybe what model to lean towards or stay away from.

thanks,

K

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

Looks like you're limited to a really nice 1200 or a good deal on an early 1500.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thats what i figured i would end up with. i guess my question would be, Is there any reason to avoid any specific year/model due to known problems, etc...? Also, what is the approx. life span of a 1200 or 1500 engine (assuming proper maintenance and care as given)?

K

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Good luck to your search. I am in a deal with my wife I loose 100 lbs I get a new wing... So I am just in the beginning stage of loosing and looking.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site Kluke!

The 1200's are great bikes and would serve you well. The 1500 has a bit more power so if you could come up with a little more $$, that would be a better move IMHO. Your wife will have more room on the 1500 than the 1200 too. Either bike is great though, they're Wings. :)

I wouldn't say theirs too much specific about any of the years on the 1200's to watch out for, except the early models had so ignition switch problems, so make sure that's working well. For any of them, if they are near 60,000 miles or over, find out if the stator/alternator has been replaced. The original stators averaged around 60K before they go out, and require pulling the engine to replace. There's a poorboy alternative though. You can search on poorboy on this site and find lots of info on that.

On the 1500, they made an Interstate for I think 6 or 7 years. They don't have reverse or cruise control. Reverse is the biggie to me but may not be to you. The Interstates tend to sell for a bit less than the Aspencades and SE's due to them having less options.

Check out the buyers guide on this site for some great info,
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm.
Also check out the GoldWing history page for info on all the changes over the years.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

As for life span, hard to say for sure, but a long time and lots of miles. I've personally seen 200,000 + mile 1200's still going strong, and I saw a 500,000 mile 1500 sell on ebay with the original owner claiming it still was strong and used no oil. There are many out there with more than 100,000 miles.

One final note, because of your size, I would definitely plan on installing Progressive springs in the forks and Progressive shocks on the back, if the bike does not already have them. You will probably need the extra spring strength for the best ride and control. Their shocks are expensive, but worth it.

John

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

As long as you make yourself aware of the quirks of each style Goldwing and become educated in the problems that each has (easy to do by asking on this forum). Then it is a matter of preference. I chose an older bike because of past experience and preference. I had the chance to buy a brand new one at the time I found this one. I have a 1985 GL1200 Interstate. If I were to get on a New Goldwing I am sure I would love it just as much.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I have a 86 aspy. I like it alot. It's easy to work on..I think anyhow. It now has 114,000 on it and runs like a top. In reading and surfing the net.. I have found it be thought of as the "57 Chevy's" of the gold wings. So say some anyhow. I kinda like that........ "57 chevy of the goldwings." I think I'll run it a while yet.

I do find myself looking hard at a 96 Red 1500 with low miles whne I see one for sale.

It's a sickness ya know?

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

300 is goldwing country
get a good seat

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

kluke wrote:
Hi all! I am new to the forum and am seeking your advise on the selection of a bike for my wife and I.

The facts we know:

1. I am a fairly large man (little over 300)
2. Will be riding 2up with my wife
3. Have a budget of 3-4K

So, right now i am looking at some mid 80's model wings. Please give me any and all advice as to maybe what model to lean towards or stay away from.

thanks,

K
To be honest. You and I are in the same ‘size class’. I don’t know how tall you are though. If I was you, knowing what I know now, I’d save my money and get a GL1800.

I have sat on a lot of bikes. For Mama and myself, you can’t beat the GL1800 for room and comfort. I am still getting used to the ’up-right’ sitting position, but it isn’t something you can’t get used to…..it is comfortable enough.

Pile you, you’re other half and gear on one and you’ll see what I mean. I know it isn’t much help, with item number 3, but I thought I would say it. I looked at the GW as a long term thing. So the expense (and it is considerable), although painful, was worth it. Specially if you’re going long distance.

ST

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

kluke wrote:
Also, what is the approx. life span of a 1200 or 1500 engine (assuming proper maintenance and care as given)?

K
Welcome kluke :waving:. Don't worry at all about the lifespan of the engine - it will out-live most of us - assuming proper maintenance and care prior to and after you purchase it.

I personally think you'll be happier on the 1500.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

not that I know much yet, my 1200 is still at the dealer...but stator, stator, stator, that's all I hear about. Is this a 1 out of a 100 failure problem for 1200 owners, or guaranteed, all of this era's GW's stators fail?

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

RudyinNY wrote:
not that I know much yet, my 1200 is still at the dealer...but stator, stator, stator, that's all I hear about. Is this a 1 out of a 100 failure problem for 1200 owners, or guaranteed, all of this era's GW's stators fail?
Welcome to the forum RudyinNY.

I would say that if the 1200 is on the road long enough, meaning if they don't get wrecked first, they will pretty much all have a stator failure. From what I've seen personally, most of the original stators fail around 60,000 miles. That's not overly encouraging, but it's not a terrible thing either. The unfortunate placement of it, needing to pull the engine to change it, makes it a pain, but not a disaster. Most people with mechanical abilities can change it in a weekend. It is the one major flaw in the 1200 design in my opinion, but nowhere near a deal killer, especially with the availability of the poorboy kits for those that don't want to deal with the factory stator. The 1200 is a great bike besides this issue though, and like all the other GoldWings has a rock solid engine. The fact that so many of them are still on the road 20+ years after they rolled off the assembly line is a testament to this.

John

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Never rode a 1200. I had an 1100 and a 1500, between those two I would go with the 1500 hands down. Not sure how much improvement there was between the 1100 and the 1200. My 1100 was an 83, my 1500 was an 89.

I would ride both and figure it out from there. I do agree with the progressive suspension addition. I upgraded my 89 to progressive and it made a hudge difference.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

As was said our well maintained wing will out live most of us. I would suggest the 1500. The six pack is defintely a noticeable upgrade. There are some to be had for 4k if you are willing to search.

Slickster mentioned the one on craiglist that would be a great buy if it check out good:

Saw an ad on craigslist...jacksonville fl...93 wing for 4500....69K miles....that' the bike.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/1046017934.html
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/1035562521.html

keep on winging:bat:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Are the replacement stators of better quality now? Meaning, if I found one with a stator that had been replaced, then I would no longer need to worry about it, or are they still only good for about 60k? Also, I wish I was in Florida to scoop up one of those deals off of craigslist. I am keeping my eyes peeled for one around my neck of the woods (TEXAS).

Thanks!

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

kluke wrote:
Are the replacement stators of better quality now? Meaning, if I found one with a stator that had been replaced, then I would no longer need to worry about it, or are they still only good for about 60k? Also, I wish I was in Florida to scoop up one of those deals off of craigslist. I am keeping my eyes peeled for one around my neck of the woods (TEXAS).

Thanks!
There are some replacements that are listed as heavy duty that are supposed to last longer and have a higher output, but can't vouch for the lasting longer part because I haven't run one long enough to know yet. They are nicely coated so I suspect they will last considerably longer though.

John

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

I have had the 1200, a 1500, and now a 2-1000's I have ridden a 1800 and the best way I can describe the 1800 is that it's a crotch rocket on steroids.

The bikes are all different, I went back to the naked 1000 because the wife quit riding. I do not do much touring anymore so I went back to something for quick jaunts around town.

Like said above, they are all great bikes and super reliable if cared for. I am your size also, and for two up either the 1200 or 1500 would do for you.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

Go for the 1500 - 1200 is too small and has no reverse. Reverse is a good thing.

The 6 vs the 4 is another thing --- you don't need a 4 cyl.

I have ridden them all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.