Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

This may come under technical...but seeing as the gaffer is away in Spain I thought I might risk it. After 20 yrs of not ridinga bikeI bought a mates 1987 1200 Aspencade...done 1000 miles in the last 3 weeks and to be honest...IVe got a right George Bush (numb bum). Now I figure it could be one of two things,

1. My mate has had the bike for 14 yrs...and he and Pies have been very good mates over the years. ( sorry Roy but salad aint yer favourite food is it?) and he's flattened the seat.

2. Ive gone soft over the years and I'm just not used to three inch of leather and foam between me and a motorcycle frame.

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells a seat (in the UK) that will fit the bike...and is extremely comfortable. To be honest...after three hours of riding yesterday I felt like I had had an epidural in me butt cheeks.

If its just me being a whimp then fair enough...I'll get used to it.... but if its because of my salad dodging mate...I want a new seat.

All advice gratefully received.........and sorry to all our American friends about the George Bush remark..........yeah right.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Armitage Shanks,

Judging by the time it's been since you've been in the sadle, I'd say a fair part of it is due to that. I go through a little of that each riding season, & the break in time seems to get a bit longer each season.........:baffled:

You might want to seak the services of a good Chiropractor as well. Something could be a little out of wack.:?

Oh, & no hurt feelings over here!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Frenchy wrote:
Armitage Shanks,

Judging by the time it's been since you've been in the sadle, I'd say a fair part of it is due to that. I go through a little of that each riding season, & the break in time seems to get a bit longer each season.........:baffled:

You might want to seak the services of a good Chiropractor as well. Something could be a little out of wack.:?

Oh, & no hurt feelings over here!
Oh aye...good point frenchy....I do have a few quids worth of Titanium rods strapped to spine....ah well...if thats what it takes to ride the wing...so be it

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

I belive that jcwhitney has seat covers that you fill with air, On page 56 of the new catalog, There's also gell seat cushions that strap to your seat, Something to look at, For me it not the bum, its the hip, The first 2-3 times riding each season my hip just locks up hurts like hell, but what you gonna do

Well at least there's here's a couple of ideas, never used them just saw them in a catalog

Here's the websites for a couple cataloge ordering companys

www.jcwmotorcycle.com

www.denniskirk.com

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Armitage Shanks,

In the past 22 months or so I have putover 18,000 miles on my 83 Aspencade.Most of my travel is to-from work, about a 70 mile round trip, and even that took some getting used to. On the two trips I took up to the mountainsI found I needed a break every hour or so. I think this is pretty normal at least for those of us not used to going on long rides. The guy that went with me on my last trip (380 miles) was riding a Suzuki Valucia 800.He was more interested in stopping than meeven though he had been onmore long rides than me.

I think the longest I ever rode non-stop was about two hours. After that IHAD to get off! It just wasn't fun anymore! Sometime you just need to stop and walk around a bit.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I know it's not in the UK, but Corbin saddles are a pretty good deal. One for my GL1000 cost $221 about a month ago. They're leather and have a very good reputation for comfort... mine is. The foam is firm and takes some breaking in, but they're very nice after that.

I'm not offended by your comments at all, not all of us over here voted for him.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

If you've got Titanium back there, you probably want to stay away from the Chiropractor.:shock:

An advantage to point out with the Corbin seat that Marco posted, is that it sets you a little lower than the OEM gl1000 & gl1100, & further back from the OEM gl1000 seats. I have a 32 inch inseam, & really like setting a couple of inches back on my 76:1000yellow::cheeky1:. Some of the Corbin's also have the Gel padding, mine does.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Armitage Shanks

Don't be put off ordering a seat straight from the states, with the £/$ exchange rates as they are you can get some good deals. There are plenty of UK dealers that sell Corbin seats but with higher overheads.

I bought a Hartco touring seat from the states it has velour covering thats fully weather proof and scotch guarded, gel inserts front and back, a fully adjustable riders backrest that slots between the seats and a matching cover for the original passenger backrest. Even came with a set of rain covers.

Now the bike has never been more comfortable especially after fitting a pair of highway boards, feet-forward leaning against the backrest is like sitting in an armchair.

I paid about £299, the import duty was £57 which I made up for by selling my original seat on ebay.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

I got a quote from Corbins UK supplier for a seat for my 1800 and it worked out to be £400 more than buying it from the US even allowing for customs and postage added to the bill.

As for titanium - DONT go to the chiropractor m8 - from someone who has had 30 years of agro with titanium in my lower spine - the worst thing you can do is visit a chiropractor. Best thing for me was to ride the bike if i dont ride her for a week i seize up solid - get on the bike and do 50 miles and it is fine again.

Rgds

Phil

G

·
imported post

If you guys were riding a Honda 50 like me, :crying:I wouldn't like to be reading the complaints about your assesssss. :whip:Try http://www.davidsilverspares.com/ :clapper:just to see if he has anything to fit you. The states would be the best place to buy and much cheaper. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

just a thought but if your friend is smaller than you he may have had the seat lowered or you could bring it to an upholsterer and get it raised with some foam and thus increase the padding:cheeky1::waving:.Eric

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Armitage Shanks wrote:
1. My mate has had the bike for 14 yrs...and he and Pies have been very good mates over the years. ( sorry Roy but salad aint yer favourite food is it?) and he's flattened the seat.

2. Ive gone soft over the years and I'm just not used to three inch of leather and foam between me and a motorcycle frame.
right.
I reckon Frenchy is right about the break in time, need time to adjust , a firm seat is better than a soft one on a long journey, and with petrol stops every 175 miles its not that long in the saddle , I was thinking of having mine recovered and some gel put in cos I like the odd pie as well, if you find a replacement I'll buy your old one

The salad dodger
BB

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I had a Corbin on my GL1500 but fond itmuch too hard for my behind. Not comfy at all. Good back support but thats all. I sold it in under 1000miles. I know some people say it needs breaking in, but I couldn´t wait.:(

About your saddle, why not get an upholsterer to shave some of he old foa out and put new stuff in, that should rejuvinate it.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Another consideration for the seat is lower back support. Especially with the back problems!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Frenchy wrote:
Another consideration for the seat is lower back support. Especially with the back problems!!!!!!
The nice thing about a Corbin is that the seats have the driver and passenger backrest hardware already built-in, and if you get a backrest it'sfully adjustable.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I like my road sofa with backrest, combining that with the rear armrests you may find me leaning back withone arm propped onone rear armrest, atea mug in my hand and theother hand draped on the handlebars, feet out on the highway pegs and TRYING VERY HARD TO STAY AWAKE!!

I am lucky in that I travel constantly in my job, (Yesterday finished a 380 mile two day round trip), I frequently ride tank to tank non stop and listen to audio books on cassette while I roll along.The one thing I find I need to do is change helmet stylesoccasionally and carry both open face and full face with me.

By the way, not related but maybe sort of. Rubbermaid now has a file case that fits the older saddle bags perfectly. Ikeep my files in them for the job, but on trips I have found they make excellent mini suitcases for La Reina del todo mundo and myself.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Well thank you all very much for the advice...nice to know some folks care..unlike my finacial advisor (wife) who seems to think that Inagged her long enough to get a wing...now I should " shut up and ride the b****y thing." I think she has a point.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

"Beauty thing"?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.