Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The other day I got on the highway on my way back from a country ride and took the wing up to 80mph or a little more for a half minute to find a nice clear spot in the traffic. I rarely take the bike up to that speed, but have a couple times in the year and a half I’ve owned it. While or after (?) backing down to 65-70 (in a clear spot) I heard a whirring sound that lasted for a while. I guess I forgot about it or it went away, because I was paying attention to the traffic coming into the city.

I mentioned this to a friend who seemed to think is was the timing belt tensionor pulleys. I’m about to open the cover and inspect them. What should I look for?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

I have a 78. I have the same problem. Either they are too loose, or too tight. They should only be on with tension from the spring holding them in place. Mine were apparently put on too tight by previous owner, which caused a 'groove' to be worn on the tensioner pulleys. When i re-tensioned them closer to spec, the groove from the pulleys being too tight caused slack, hence the whine. I guess they had them on there tightly to stop the whine.Best change the belts while you're at it. Get some aftermarket ones from NAPA. Go to randakks.com, and find the aftermarket parts page to find the part # -- big savings. If a belt breaks, say bye bye to engine.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Could be, good idea to check them. Might also be the belts if the belts are a little too tight they will make noise. Pull the tensioners off and spin them by hand, there should be no sound, should be only a tiny bit of free play when you rock them. Some say there should be none, but I bought two new ones (very pricey) and there was a wee little bit of play.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

77GL1 wrote:
The other day I got on the highway on my way back from a country ride and took the wing up to 80mph or a little more for a half minute to find a nice clear spot in the traffic. I rarely take the bike up to that speed, but have a couple times in the year and a half I’ve owned it. While or after (?) backing down to 65-70 (in a clear spot) I heard a whirring sound that lasted for a while. I guess I forgot about it or it went away, because I was paying attention to the traffic coming into the city.

I mentioned this to a friend who seemed to think is was the timing belt tensionor pulleys. I’m about to open the cover and inspect them. What should I look for?
77GL1, depending on the type of "whirring sound " you have it could easily be the timing belts. Those toothed timing belts kind of self center on the outer cam pulleys & tend to work in one direction on acceleration & could work slightly the other way on a heavy decel. Try to duplicate the same situation you had when the problem showed up. Try it with just accelerationthen steady throttle, then try it with the backing down as you did when the problem showed up. IF, it only happens after a severe decel (back-down) then suspect the belt(s) are migrating slightly on the pulleys (on decel) to a part of the cam pulley that has a different wear pattern. If the noise is there in every case then you really should do a cam belt & adjuster inspection.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

If you check under my post of last week entitled "Noise", you'll see I had a similar problem with my 1984 on de-celeration. After taking her to the local Honda shop, they adjusted the tension of the new belts and now she purrs.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

These guys are more than likely right in thinking belts, tensioner etc!

Curious if when the whirring noise happens if you put in nuetral or pull in the clutch if it's still there?

Now I thought I had an engine "Whir" at 75mph one night and it turned out to be my Speedo drive gear and I was a loud "Whir" that when riding sounded just like it was coming out of the engine?

Then again, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, either!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.