Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello fellow wingers,

i am experiancing white smoke on start up.

it quickly goes away though.

i also may have a small amount of oil in the radiator,

i changed the coolant about a month ago,and mayby

had a small amount of oil on the funnel i was using.

i will very closely monitor my oil level after i change the coolant again.

i suspect maybe a float is sticking causing the smoke.

if after i change the coolant i use a little oil, and notice some in the coolant

could it need new seals at the waterpump?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

It's just valve stem seals. They go hard with age and that's how you get the startup smoke. Do a search here and you will find loads of posts about this.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

hi and welcome to the forum... what year wing? is the smike out both mufflers? is it just at start=up and then quits? If just at start up may be just the normal condensation from a cold engine... Also, older wings often smoke a bit out of the left pipes if left on the side stand

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

goldwing84 wrote:
hello fellow wingers ,i am experiancing white smoke on start up.
it quickly goes away though. i also may have a small amount of oil in the radiator,
i changed the coolant about a month ago,and mayby had a small amount of oil on the funnel i was using.
White smoke on startup sounds like a leaking head gasket to me, if your valve seals are leaking you will get a little smoke but normally oil smoke is blue. Keep a close eye on your coolant level. I don't think a trace of oil in a funnel, unless it's dripping out of a very wet funnel will show up much oil in your coolant. More possibly a head gasket leak or your water pump main seal is going. Check the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump for oil traces. Pull the radiator cap, not the expansion bottle cap, and look for bubbles coming out of the coolant.Another check is to pull the spark plugs and see if one of them looks a lot cleaner than the others. Often a leaking head gasket will 'steam clean' the end of the plug in that cylinder.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

1200's often have a bit of smoke on start up. As a general rule it's nothing to worry about. Oil in the coolant is another matter though. The next thing I would check is the engine oil. Is it cloudy? Check for bubbles in the radiator as Exavid suggested. (radiator not resevoir). Are you using coolant? Are you using oil? If these things are occurring it's pointing to a head gasket.:?

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

goldwing84 wrote:
hello fellow wingers,

it quickly goes away though.

i also may have a small amount of oil in the radiator,

i changed the coolant about a month ago,and mayby

had a small amount of oil on the funnel i was using.

i will very closely monitor my oil level after i change the coolant again.

i suspect maybe a float is sticking causing the smoke.

if after i change the coolant i use a little oil, and notice some in the coolant

could it need new seals at the waterpump?
goldwing84, usually white smoke at start-up is a water vapor problem. That could be anything from normal to a head gasket, to water in the oil, to poor combustion.

If that white smoke goes away quickly then maybe it's just moisture in the engine or exhaust. If it happens every time you should be seeing the coolant level going down after enough starts.

Start by pulling all 4 spark plugs (cold engine) & seeing if ANY look different (like water on them),, then crank the engine over a few times (plugs out) & see if any moisture comes out a plug hole.

Look fro signs of water in the engine oil also.

I doubt it's valve guides as that is a bluish colored smoke & should also smoke on over-run when hot. Usually valve guide or valve seal problems are bluish smoke on the high cyl head side after parked on side stand, if bluish smoke on low side then possibly rings.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The symptoms seem vague.. You said there "may be" oil in the coolant and "may be" coolant in the oil... Can you be more specific?

Did all this just start happening prior to the change out? Has it been going on for a long time? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

goldwing84 wrote:
hello fellow wingers,

Wow! A new Pope with every startup! :skipping:

OK, I'll be serious. I wouldn't start ripping into things quickly.

Does the fluid level drop?

Does the oil level drop (or even rise)?

Is the oil going milky?

Does the engine get hot very quickly when under load and the fan appear to be on all the time?

If the answer to all the above is no, I wouldn't worry too much.

I've not owned a 1200 for a long, long while and can't remember but does it have the breather bottle? If so, is it full?

Good luck (and welcome).

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

Yes, I get this as well. Lots of us do. So far, I have not been able to trace it to anything other then the valve guides leaking some oil. Mine only occurs when lefton the side stand or left for longer than a few days. I'm more concerned about the latter than the former, but still have not tracked it down. I do have larger fish to fry with this bike :D

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

It's interesting that I still occasionally get a puff of smokeupon startup on my Wing after I rebuilt the heads and installed new valve seals. Must be engine vacuum drawing trace amounts of oil into the combustion chamber through the ring gaps.

I'm more concerned about the oil in your coolant. Could mean a failing waterpump if you find that it comes back after a good clean up.

Vic

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

hello i am back again,

first of all i would like to thank alll of you for yor replies.

it is an 84 aspencade and there is 78k on the clock.

i will monitor the coolant for bubbles and also oil.

it has been doing this for about two weeks,and is mainly

coming out the right side.

it has come out the left side,but with very little smoke.

i drained the carb that was leaking and cleaned the screw

and i also tapped the float bowl lightly. it has stopped leaking so far.:)

i always put it on the center stand when i put it away for the night.

it does not seem to matter center or side stand. one other thing is

it does not use oil hardly at all,and there is no coolant in the oil that i can see.

once again thank you all very much,i have visited a lot of goldwing sights and

this one by far has the most knowledgeable people there is.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

goldwing84 wrote:
Hey goldwinger84 :leprechaun: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

This must be another Pope elected. :grinner:

:byebye: :18red: :byebye:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Redwing, put your glasses on. His name is goldwing84 not goldwinger84.
Hey Goldwinger1984 :baffled:There are so many of ye goldwinger guys on this forum it's difficult to figure out if ye are goldwing or goldwinger. :stumped:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey Goldwinger1984 :baffled:There are so many of ye goldwinger guys on this forum it's difficult to figure out if ye are goldwing or goldwinger. :stumped:
Sorry to hear that, I was thinking of changing my user ID to Goldwingnut93!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I was thinking of changing my user ID to Goldwingnut93!
Hey exavid :stumped: So you are going to join the wingnut brigade. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
exavid wrote:
I was thinking of changing my user ID to Goldwingnut93!
Hey exavid :stumped: So you are going to join the wingnut brigade. :jumper:
Nah, I just thought I might be missing something!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I noticed the influx of goldwing names out here. I guess the younger fellows don't believe in originality. If it keeps up like this I might have to change my name to Redwing84 or somethingnew and different like that.

Vic

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.