Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

White smoke with warm engine?

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  ali 
#1 ·
imported post

Just got her running after sitting 3 yrs and noticed yesterday that there was some white smoke coming out the exhaust when she had been idling for about 10 mins. had seafoam in the previous tank but the smoke from that had gone with this tank, may have about 60% of this new tank left so i dont think it was the seafoam. any ideas if im heading for trouble??

Thanks Ali

#2 ·
imported post

Possible blown head gasket. Does the smoke smells sweet (or put your palm in front of the exaust and then taste it, is it sweet)? Check for any bubbles inside the radiator or the coolant expansion tank - that's also a prettygood sign of a blown head gasket. Not a big deal to replace. Also check the oil for coolant and coolant for oil contamination.

#3 ·
imported post

me and my dad had come to that conclusion but we couldn't smell or taste anything sweet. have not yet checked the oil and coolant yet but i will do. spoke to my granddad who is big on mechanics and he seemed to think it might be something to do with her sitting a long time, maybe burning some oil. i will check the oil and coolant next week and let you know. About the head gasket, i am lacking skills in mechanics so how easy for a novice with i like to think a good bit of common sense?

Thanks Ali

#4 ·
imported post

I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Just keep an eye on the coolant and oil and put some miles on her. If it does come down to head gaskets it's nothing but nuts and bolts. Common sense goes a long way toward wrenching. Just put things back like you found them and there shouldn't be any problems.

#5 ·
imported post

The gasket change isn't a major mechanical operation. You will need a manual,(download one from the site or buy one). I'd suggest you put some miles on the old girl first and then do a spark-plug check . Even 10 minutes at idle often times isn't long enough to get the water-cooled wing up to true operating temps.

Check the coolant tank for level and or bubbles, and also the condition of the engine oil. You don't want to see any chocolate milk in the crank-case... :gunhead:

#6 ·
imported post

If the smoke waswhite as you said, then probably not the oil burning. The oil causedsmoke should be bluish. Well, if you haven't changed the engine oilthen maybe some water could condense inside the crankcase while the bike was sittingso it could come inside the cylinders andgive some white vapour out from the exhausts. However, check the radiator/expansion tank for bubbling anyway. Drain the oil, if it is brown/milky then you have coolant in it which could also be a symptom of a blownheadgasket. The oil in the coolant as well. Of course, neither of this symptoms means a blown head gasketfor sure, but can help determining the cause.But if you see anypermanentbubbling in the coolant while the engine is running then very likely a blown HG. Don't worry about the head gasket(s) replacement if they appear to be blown. If you have a set of common tools and a "good will" then you will handle it. Or better yet ask your granddad to help you!:baffled:In the workshop manual there should be a good explanation of how to do the job.

Good luck!

#7 ·
imported post

After 3 years, I'd be considering putting on miles, and watch the fluids carefully, rather than be too too critical.

Got put 200 miles on it, and at each 50 miles, look to see that the oil level has gone neither up nor down in the crankcase.

See that it continues to have coolant in the expansion tank. I think I would have a gallon bottle of water and a little funnel with me for the first 200 miles myself. (Just in case, right?).

After 200 miles, let's chat about it again.

#8 ·
imported post

rgbeard is right. Put some time on it but monitor everything closely. Sitting for that long can be several things. Valve seals dried out, head gasket,rings could be stuck, oil contaminated or maybe just still some seafoam burning off. Time will tell. Change the oil and ride it for a while then give us an update.

#9 ·
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
See that it continues to have coolant in the expansion tank. I think I would have a gallon bottle of water and a little funnel with me for the first 200 miles myself. (Just in case, right?).
Everything suggested is excellent advise and I only have one thing to add and that's use distilled water if you need it! In both the radiator AND the battery if needed. It'll prevent alot of problems in the long run.

#10 ·
imported post

thanks guys, one of the things that made me think it wasnt the gasket because the whit smoke is coming from both exhausts (i could be wrong if they are linked?) shes not quite road ready yet she needs new tires and some tweaking, i will let you guys know after more testing and you can give me a verdict from that. Thanks as always!

Ali

#11 ·
imported post

hey guys, i checked the coolant this morning and i noticed that there was some brown blobs floating in the top up tank and also when i removed the radiator cap. havent checked the oil yet but there is no sweet smell or taste from the exhaust.

ali

#12 ·
imported post

If youve had any carburetor issues with excess fuel going into the engine sometimes this will cause smoking issues also. It might be noticeable enough to pick up on your dipstick but fuel dilution will cause the smoking and even after shes warmed up youll still get some.

#13 ·
imported post

i removed the carbs to clean, i will admit the do need synced but im working on that! the smoke is not present when the engine is cold only when it is warm. my fan comes on when the temp gauge hits 3 bars, its around then so it doesnt smoke all the time only when warm.

Ali

#14 ·
imported post

I had the same problem on an 87 Wing. Turned out it blew a head gasket on the right side but it was not noticable at first. If is smells sweet then it sounds like a head gasket. Has it been running hot?

Tom

#15 ·
imported post

ali wrote:
hey guys, i checked the coolant this morning and i noticed that there was some brown blobs floating in the top up tank and also when i removed the radiator cap. havent checked the oil yet but there is no sweet smell or taste from the exhaust.

ali
Oil in coolant could also be caused bya bad seal inside the front (transmission) case. However, I wold keep a possibility of a blown head gasket on my mind until I definitelyeliminate that optionand becomesure which is the actual cause. Just my 2 cents.

As Bigmick said, the carbs could also cause the white smoke by overflowing the cylinders with fuel which would evaporate and go outside as a white vapour/smoke. I had that problem recenly on my bike, BUT - in that case the smoke should smell like gasoline. In my case I was adviced here on forumto remove the air filter while/just after the engine is running and to look at the bottom of the case (plenum). It should always be dry, but in my case it was covered with gasoline. Bad float valves.

#16 ·
imported post

not liking the sound of the bad seal in the front transmission case! the carbs do need synced and when i had them off for cleaning, i removed and set the floats to the recommended from the clymer manual. the plenum is dry and has never been wet since i have had the bike. the bike is running a bit rough by that i mean its my understanding that these engines are quiet and smooth, she sounds a bit like a harley at the minute! idles well though, suppose the noise isnt helped by the fact that the PO decided to drill holes in the muffler so it looks like, i presume he was kicking himself for not buying the harley???

thanks Ali

#18 ·
imported post

ali wrote:
.....the bike is running a bit rough by that i mean its my understanding that these engines are quiet and smooth, she sounds a bit like a harley at the minute!............
Have you properly sync's the carbs? That harley sound will usually go away and the idle will get really smooth if they are correctly balanced.

#19 ·
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
ali wrote:
.....the bike is running a bit rough by that i mean its my understanding that these engines are quiet and smooth, she sounds a bit like a harley at the minute!............
Have you properly sync's the carbs?  That harley sound will usually go away and the idle will get really smooth if they are correctly balanced.
I havent synced them yet at all, i dont have the equipment yet to do so. i was going to get the loan sync kit but i have not been a member long enough yet, also many have suggested buying some cos they need syncing ever 8000 miles so i may just do that.

#20 ·
imported post

activitytom43 wrote:
I had the same problem on an 87 Wing. Turned out it blew a head gasket on the right side but it was not noticable at first. If is smells sweet then it sounds like a head gasket. Has it been running hot?
smoke only appears when she is warm, when i get 3 bars on the temp gauge the fan comes on and thats about the time she starts smoking. i cant tell anything sweet at all and there is no bubbling from the coolant reservoir.

Ali

#21 ·
imported post

I just remembered something...I was coming back from Hosuton one time on an 87A and my bike started running funny. I pulled into a gas station in LaGrange and checked the fluids. I had oil in my antifreeze so I ended up having to trailer the bike home. I took it toa local shop and it turned out the water pump was bad leaking oil into the antifreeze. 1 week and $500.00 later it was fixed. Geeezzz I look back now and could kick myself because after I read the bill I bought a manual and started fixing things myself. The part was $37.16 and the rest labor.

Tom

#22 ·
imported post

Still no further forward to solving this problem. she needs tires as the old ones are perished so i think i will give her some miles and see if that throws anything up. how easy is the water pump to get at? im pretty good at the less complicated stuff but im no mechanic!

Thanks again guys, Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.