Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all....
Wondering if some of you might be able to offer me some guidance and next steps.
I have a '85 Limited Edition with 216,000 kms on her. Been a great bike the 16 years I've owned her.
About a month ago...during a nice pleasant highway ride...and coming on the off-ramp...lots a white smoke swirled around. I knew what that was...head gasket.
Got her to my mechanics' shop...where he changed out the right side head gasket, new belts, crank sensor, rad hoses, etc.
Tried to get her going...wouldn't start, starter jammed.
Trucked her home.
Got a starter off eBay...came yesterday...got it on, fired her up...purred like a kitten for a few minutes...then the white smoke started again...big time.
Shut her down...checked the oil, of course coolant in oil.
Changed the oil and filter, and after a minute of running white smoke again.
My question is...is there somewhere outside of the head gaskets, where coolant is getting into the combustion chamber???
Is this engine toast now??
Would getting a couple of new heads and starting over again help??
I haven't had a chance to follow up with my mechanic yet...maybe Monday...he can usually fix this stuff with his eyes closed.
Of course...the negative demons are rallying around me trying to convince to give up on her, and look around for a good used 1500.
Any offers of advice, suggestion, guidance would be greatly appreciated.
The bike still looks too nice to part her out, or give up on her.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

If you have the extra jingle it sounds like a good excuse to treat yourself.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Replacing a head gasket without machining the head can at times be a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hello all,
Thank you for your prompt responses.
Jim...as much as I'd like the jingle to be there...it likely won't be anytime soon...though, I will look and wish over the winter.
To not be riding after 41 years is killing me right now...more worse than I imagined it would be.
Maplewingnut...I thought the same thing with the possibility of both gaskets shot...checked out your link...very clever with the rags.
I will try that over the week-end.
Oh, and by the way...I'm just down the 401 in Ajax.
Thanks again guys...I'll keep you posted.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me you need a new water pump. Pull the cover off the pump, just remove the two bolts on the spigot where the lower radiator hose attaches, bend it back away until you can get a finger on the pump impeller. Try moving the impeller blades by hand. If there's any play at all the pump bearings and seals are shot. That will allow intermingling of coolant and oil.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

There are different paths for coolant to get into the crankcase oil but it's coolant in the combustion chamber that makes for white smoke in the exhaust. You might have two problems (mechanical seal at the waterpump AND a blown head gasket) with one problem kinda masking the symptoms of the other.
Do the 1200's have a weep hole? Is it clear and open up to the waterpump housing inside? If it's blocked with crud it can keep you from recognizing a waterpump failure.
Last question is did the mechanic use OEM head gaskets and did he check the head for flatness?

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

First of all did you run the bike hot? If so it could be the other head too.This is something that happened to I had the radiator off when I started putting everything back together.I spilt antifreeze and believe it doesn't take much if antifreeze leaks down into the headers or exaust manafold it will make it smoke.On the 1200 LTD there is so many nooks and crannies for antifreeze seep down into and it will smoke white smoke.A good machine shop that does heads can surface them.Also a good mechanic can check if the block is square.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Pretty rare to have a Goldwing head or block that's warped. You can check for that with a straight edge and a .002" gauge. If the straight edge doesn't have clearance for the gauge when it's laid across the head or block at any angle they're within factory tolerance. It's possible to have oil contamination by coolant due to a head gasket as well as by an coolant pump but it would be a good idea to check the pump before pulling the head. Also a check of spark plugs will usually show up a head gasket that's letting coolant into the cylinder. The plug will look unusually clean like it's been steam cleaned (it has) on the cylinder that's getting coolant. One other check is to look into the radiator neck to see if bubbles are showing up especially when you rev up the engine. Those are a strong indication of a leaking gasket too.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

EXAVID you pretty muched some it up .Something else he also could have a cracked head too.It's not impossible believe in Murrfeys law when it comes down to machines.My Dad always told me any thing man makes will give trouble and as I get older I see it more and more he hit the nail on the head.Have a blessed day.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

WHOA BROTHA, all that anti-froze goes in to ur exhaust sytem and it will take a while to burn it out, i would go for a short ride keep an i on temp gauge, and see if it stops the white smoke before i go pulling heads, it should slowly disapate if thats the trouble. I just let mine idle for 5 min or so and and it started clearing up. Buit u may get a little white smoke after sveral start ups there is a fiber glass or asbestos packing in muffler on 1100 any way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.